Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam Jones and more for Bedard?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Adam Jones and more for Bedard?

Sounds like a 4 for 1 deal to me! This could be huge for the O's!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sounds Legit:

UPDATE (4:47 p.m.): I just spoke to Mariners spokesman Tim Hevley, who confirmed Jones has been called back to the U.S. Hevley said he could not comment further, more or less confirming Jones is being traded because major league clubs do not stiff winter league teams as badly as Seattle just did to the Venezuelan outfit without a darned good reason. The winter league team's manager, none other than Luis Sojo, has also confirmed Jones if off to Baltimore for a physical.

Adam Jones has left his Venezuelan Winter League team and flies to Baltimore tomorrow morning to take a physical so he can be dealt to the Orioles in exchange for pitcher Erik Berdard. No word yet on how many players going Baltimore's way.

Jones did not mince words when he spoke to a reporter from Diario Panorama in Venezuela today. We have a relationship with the reporter and paper and they have graciously supplied us with quotes from the interview with Jones.

"I received a call from Seattle saying that is no more playing for me and I can't do anything about that,'' Jones said. "I leave tomorrow morning...It sucks. I want to play. This is Game 4 of the finals and I really want to be there for my team, but it's something that all the guys understand. I really want to play, but I can't."

On the actual deal itself: "(Bill Bavasi) called me yesterday and told me the news. I've got to go to Baltimore tomorrow morning and handle things there. I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is. He's one of the best. Last year he finished up as arguably one of the top candidates for the Cy Young. He's that good, so for me it's an honor. You know, I like Seattle, but if I am in Baltimore, as I think now I am, I'm going to embrace it and have the best time of my life in Major League Baseball."

I spoke to relief pitcher George Sherrill moments ago, and he insisted he had not heard from anyone that he had been included in a deal.

Sherrill took a routine exit physical after the season was over and recently had his contract extended by the Mariners without taking another one.

"I hope if I am part of it that somebody tells me before Wednesday because that's when we're supposed to head down to Phoenix,'' Sherrill said of his departure for spring training. "I spoke to John (McLaren) recently and I let him know that I want to be a Mariner for life. It's the team that plucked me out of the independent league and so I'll always have a spot in my heart for it and want to stay with the organization. But I know that rarely happens anymore."

That's all for now. We'll get you more details as they unfold. But I wanted to get this out to you ASAP. I'd expect a news conference of some sort by Tuesday, given the timetable of the Jones physical.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I take it that the presser will be tomorrow? Maybe Tuesday...

Do you guys think that this makes Jones your CF on Opening Day? And who is your OD starter? Guthrie?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think we have to hope that Clement is in this deal. My guess would be that Clement and Tillman are in this with Jones and one other guy.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

I think most O's fans, myself included, would like to see Adam Loewen on Opening Day. Who knows though... "Guts" is an innings eater... a great #3 guy, but he may be the O's best now with Bedard gone.

Regarding Jones, I just don't know.

BTW, I am wondering if Balentien isn't one of the other 3 players...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Balentien would be a huge take. Look at last year's numbers:

(MLB) 3G .667, 1(2B), 1HR, 4RBI
    (AAA) 124G .291, 24(2B), 4(3B), 24HR, 84RBI, 54BB, 105K, 15SB

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Then again, maybe Morrow is involved as well...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I would think Loewen would be the Opening Day starter as well but they might go with Guthrie.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per Roch Kubatko's Blog:

I would love to file an entry confirming the Erik Bedard trade to Seattle and releasing the names of the prospects that Orioles president Andy MacPhail acquired in return for the left-hander.
    Just one problem: Nobody on the Orioles' side is confirming that a deal is done.
    All we have so far is Adam Jones telling reporters in Venezuela that the Mariners told him that a trade was completed and he should fly to Baltimore. Pretty strong stuff. But the media here needs someone from the warehouse to provide confirmation, and it's not happening.
    Jones and pitchers George Sherrill and Chris Tillman are rumored to be involved in the deal, but Sherrill told the Seattle Times' Geoff Baker that he hasn't heard a word about being traded. You'd think that he'd know, if Jones already has been given the news.
    More to come, I'm sure.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Churchill says it's 99% done:

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/01/2...-percent-done/

I’m being told by three different sources that the trade is as close to being done as it can get without an actual deal. May just be a matter of dotting some i’s and crossing some t’s.

What I am getting is that it’s Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Tony Butler and Kameron Mickolio going to Baltimore.

So far, no word on anyone but Erik Bedard coming back to Seattle in the deal, and still no word on whether the two sides were allowed to get extension talks started pre-deal.

Press conference likely Tuesday as the teams are probably awaiting physical results for all players involved.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I would think Loewen would be the Opening Day starter as well but they might go with Guthrie.
    No way they go with the overperformer, Guthrie... and highly doubtful Cabrera gets that kind of nod... and doubt Penn is in that kind of position
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

O's management isn't exactly the best so its a good possibility. You do agree with Loewen correct?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Erik Bedard-to-Seattle trade could be announced later Monday or on Tuesday, according to multiple reports.
    The Baltimore Sun agrees that it's just the physicals standing in the way and maybe only the one for Adam Jones. The Orioles are expected to get Jones, George Sherrill, Chris Tillman, Kam Mickolio and Tony Butler from the Mariners for Bedard.
    It's always nice to get five players for one especially when that one has never pitched 200 innings and has a history of arm problems. M's did well to keep Clement and Balantien.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Im still not very happy with trading Adam Jones. But Bedard is better than the other SPs outside of Felix.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Bedard is better than Felix, too.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast