Thread: Mazzone is booted!

MLB ERA

News Mazzone is booted!

Leo Mazzone was fired as pitching coach of the Baltimore Orioles on Friday, less than a month after completing his second season with a struggling staff.

Mazzone worked wonders with the Atlanta Braves pitching staff from June 1990 through the end of the 2005 season but could not duplicate that success with the Orioles. Baltimore ranked 29th among 30 teams with a 5.17 ERA and yielded more walks (696) than any major league club.

"I spoke with Leo today and told him I appreciated his efforts here," Orioles manager Dave Trembley said. "Moving forward, I felt that we would be better served with someone else working with our young staff and that it was in his best interests and our best interests to give him an opportunity to look elsewhere now."

Mazzone, who turns 59 on Tuesday, had one year left on the three-year contract he signed before the 2006 season. He was lured from Atlanta by then-Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo, a longtime friend who was fired on June 18.

"This is just the business of baseball," Mazzone said. "I had a strong inclination that 2007 was going to be my last year in Baltimore when Sam Perlozzo was released and Dave Trembley was hired.
    ESPN - Mazzone fired after 2 years as O's pitching coach - MLB

I would fire my pitching coach too if my team gave up 30 runs in one game.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Mazzone is booted!

hhhhmmmm.... Maybe Glavine, Maddux, and Smoltz really are that good. Cause Mazzone was brought back down to earth in Baltimore huh? hahaha.

j/k... I am sure Mazzone will land a job somewhere and soon if he wants one.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mazzone had a lot to do with Bedard's progress and Guthrie finding a spot in the rotation. Expect the Yankees to look at him with all their young pitching.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Yeah, and what will the Yankees do with Guidry? He may end up back in Atlanta, and they may ship McDowell out, who knows.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Welcome back Turn! Mazzone is still unemployed which is amazing.

MLB ERA

The coach can only do so much. I'm sure he did what he could.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."