Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Tejada's Streak Over

aka SmashUmFootball OsBros&NattyBos's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Miguel Tejada's Streak Over

"The Orioles today announced that SS MIGUEL TEJADA has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a non-displaced fracture of the left radius, a move that will end the 5th longest consecutive-game playing streak in Major League history at 1,152 games." from orioles.mlb.com

Well that sucks. I hate to see a player go that long with his streak and have it broken bad pitch that hit him in the worst spot for a baseball player.
    I would my sell or do just about anything to have the..............
    - Orioles win the World Series -
    - Terps Football win the National Championship Bowl Game -
    - Ravens win the Super Bowl -
    - Terps Basketball win the NCAA Tournament -

..............in the same year!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Miguel Tejada's Streak Over

That is not good news... How unfortunate. I agree, that sucks, work that hard for that many years and boom,it is over. Makes us all appreciate Ripken, Jr's even more huh!!!

Rookie ERA

Re: Miguel Tejada's Streak Over

Yeah it definitly does make you appreciate a streak like that. Even Miggy's streak is impressive on its own. I believe he will be the 5th longest.

I found it interesting watching last night's game against the D-Backs. The commentators said that when they talked to Miggy about his streak being over when he was placed on the 15 day DL that Miggy said that his streak being over is something he can and will get over with, but he didn't realize how much and quickly he missed baseball not being able to play.

I thought that was interesting, just as the commentators thought too. Miggy had played so long maybe missing a few games will re-energize his love for the game and add an extra spark in his play when he comes back to the line up.

Rookie ERA

What i also found interesting too was that to continue his streak Miggy came out for one at bat and then left once he got on base. The O's commentators
    stated how some people may look at that as cheating, but that Lou Gehrig did that multiple times in his streak of 2,130 games. However, and i tried to look as much as I could, Cal Ripken Jr. never came up for one at bat and then left, ever, in his 2,632 game streak. If anyone remembers otherwise or can cite otherwise I a pretty sure he did not ever do that, which makes it more impressive.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

You are probable correct about Tejada being re-energized when he comes back. When tings like that happen, you get a new appreciation for how good things are!

Turn 2

It is sad news for the Tejada and the Orioles. He has worked very hard over the years to get out there day after day and he gets hit on the wrist and gets knocked out for at least two weeks or probably more. I guess that is part of the game though, getting hit. I hope a speedy recovery for Miggy.

Man, that sucks man.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OsBros&NattyBos View Post
    What i also found interesting too was that to continue his streak Miggy came out for one at bat and then left once he got on base. The O's commentators
    stated how some people may look at that as cheating, but that Lou Gehrig did that multiple times in his streak of 2,130 games. However, and i tried to look as much as I could, Cal Ripken Jr. never came up for one at bat and then left, ever, in his 2,632 game streak. If anyone remembers otherwise or can cite otherwise I a pretty sure he did not ever do that, which makes it more impressive.
    i dont think it was cheating, but it was kind of lame, especially when he wasnt going to do the team any good.

ripken never did that, IIRC. I know Lou did, but still.

i just think it offends the baseball gods.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Turn 2

It is lame what the Orioles did in the previous game before Miggy went to the D.L. . I watched the AB and Miggy couldn't even barely hold the bat to bunt. He should not have been in there. However it was not cheating it was just plain stupid on the Orioles manager and Miggy.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Turn 2 View Post
    It is lame what the Orioles did in the previous game before Miggy went to the D.L. . I watched the AB and Miggy couldn't even barely hold the bat to bunt. He should not have been in there. However it was not cheating it was just plain stupid on the Orioles manager and Miggy.
    yep, they could have made it even worse by doing that. just not sound thinking all around.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

wow! not smart!

Quote Originally Posted by Turn 2 View Post
    As much as I wanted him to continue that streak since I'm a sucker for records, to have him in there if he was that tender...not that bright. I'm guessing Tejada pushed the issue though
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Turn 2

Oh, he definetly was in on the decission making for that AB. It was a stupid one on all parts. Trainer Richie Bancells should of stepped in and said no way.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Have to say I'm not all that heartbroken that the streak is over.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I have to say that it was nice while it lasted, but obviously this is a much needed break for Miggy. Even back in his playing days with Oakland, he'd never take a day off. If he had a muscle strain or a back spasm, he'd play through it. Things that would sideline a "typical player" wouldn't appear to have any effect on Miggy. Like I said it was a cool streak that was the 5th longest all-time, but he really needs this time off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast