Thread: Girardi turns down O's; Streak snapped

Orioles Girardi turns down O's; Streak snapped

A day after snapping their losing streak at nine with a 7-1 victory over San Diego, the Orioles lost something else.

According to multiple reports, Joe Girardi will not become the club's new manager.

On Tuesday, team officials, including COO Andy MacPhail and Executive VP Mike Flanagan, met with Girardi and his agent in Chicago. Negotiations began, with the club making the offer.

"It's a great organization. There's a great history. It's a great sports town," Girardi said to FoxSports.com. "I was very impressed with Andy MacPhail and their front office. But at this time, it's not just right."

In just the same way as with the Nationals, Girardi turned down Baltimore, saying it just isn't right for his family.

The Orioles will now turn to the next people on their list. Rick Dempsey was scheduled for an interview Tuesday. Dempsey was a popular player with the Orioles during his playing career and was a coach with the club the past few seasons before moving to a broadcasting position with MASN, the Orioles media network.

Higher on the list are former skipper Davey Johnson, who was the last coach to lead this club to a winning record and former Cubs manager Dusty Baker, who was hired by MacPhail in Chicago. No word on when possible interviews are set.

Jeremy Guthrie led the Orioles to the win yesterday. He finally did it with run support, with the offense scoring three runs in the first before he even took the mound.

Brian Roberts led the game off with a double. He was hit in by a Nick Markakis RBI single. Kevin Millar hit Markakis in with a double off the left-field wall. He scored after Miguel Tejada knocked a double into left-field.

The Orioles only got one hit between the first and eighth. The bats exploded again during that inning. Melvin Mora had an RBI single. Jay Payton had a two-RBI triple and scored on a Paul Bako infield hit.

Guthrie was sharp, shutting out the Padres, who scored 12 runs the night before, into the eighth inning. However, he gave up a leadoff home run to Russell Branyan.

He pitched eight innings, struck out nine and gave up only four hits, improving to 4-1 with a 2.62 ERA. In nine starts, Guthrie has given up two or less in eight of them.

The Orioles were not without a scare, however. Also in the eighth inning, Tejada took a Doug Brocail fastball off the left wrist and dropped to the ground. Manager Dave Trembley and trainer Richie Bancells came out of the dugout to look at Tejada, who shook the hit off and walked to first-base. Trembley removed Tejada with Freddie Bynum after the team was retired in the eighth.

This marks the first win in Trembley's short time as interim manager. He is 1-1 so far and has his ace, Erik Bedard, pitching today against former Oriole David Wells.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Re: Girardi turns down O's; Streak snapped

Ok, fine w/ me... go get Davey.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

aka SmashUmFootball OsBros&NattyBos's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Yeah I am all for the pursuit of Davey
    I would my sell or do just about anything to have the..............
    - Orioles win the World Series -
    - Terps Football win the National Championship Bowl Game -
    - Ravens win the Super Bowl -
    - Terps Basketball win the NCAA Tournament -

..............in the same year!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Girardi turns down O's; Streak snapped

sorry O's fans. really thought Giardi would have been the right fit for your team. Based on the job he did in Florida last year. I see that you guys like Davey Johnson, he is a good manager too. just my opinion.

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

I would like to see the "dipper" get a shot or the recently available Eddie Murray, just find it hard to picture Angelos bringing Davey back. I guess time heals all wounds.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by voodoomon1jd View Post
    I would like to see the "dipper" get a shot or the recently available Eddie Murray, just find it hard to picture Angelos bringing Davey back. I guess time heals all wounds.
    Davey and Angelos actually had a meeting together prior to Perlozzo being fired

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

interesting. any updates on the manager hiring?

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

MacPhail has now said that he is going to be a little more "methodical" about the hire and take his time. I'm for letting Trembley finish the year unless he is god awful

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I agree with you voodoo. That makes the most sense.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by voodoomon1jd View Post
    MacPhail has now said that he is going to be a little more "methodical" about the hire and take his time. I'm for letting Trembley finish the year unless he is god awful
    Yeah, so far Trembley has been doing a fine job at manager. I like his aggresive approach of base stealing, which is the stealing light is "always green" unless specified otherwise. Trembley has also done very well with adjusting the lineup to the pitchers the O's are facing. The O's are 3-2 on the road trip thus far and if they can win today they will be 4-2 on this west coast trip.

There is no rush for replacing a manager now that there #1 guy to become manager declined their offer. I also have to say it seems like the O's are playing a lot better defensively now that Trembley has been at manager, i don't know if that is just a coincidence or something with Trembley's preperations with the team. I said in a past post that I want the O's to get a more "old school" manager, unlike Perlozzo, and much like Trembley. So whom ever they go after I want them to keep the manager an old school style in your face kind of manager.

Turn 2

In some ways I am glad that Girardi turned down the position. IMO they should play the remainder of the year out with Dave Trembley and see how he does. So far from what I have seen in the few games he has managed there is more intensity in the players at least.