Thread: Orioles interview Girardi for managerial vacancy

Orioles Orioles interview Girardi for managerial vacancy

Joe Girardi was interviewed Tuesday by Baltimore Orioles executives, a day after the team fired manager Sam Perlozzo. The interview took place in Chicago, a baseball official familiar with the talks said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no public statements were authorized.
    SI.com - MLB - Orioles interview Girardi to replace Perlozzo - Tuesday June 19, 2007 5:33PM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Orioles interview Girardi for managerial vacancy

He may be just the man for the job. Look what he did with the Marlins last year, when no one expected the Marlins to compete. If he decides to take the job, Good luck to him. He has his work cut out for him in Baltimore. Least he has Mazzone as his pitching coach!

aka SmashUmFootball OsBros&NattyBos's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: Orioles interview Girardi for managerial vacancy

Joe Girardi is clearly the leading candidate to take over as manager. Girardi noted that Andy MacPhail as chief operating officer definitely plays a role in his decision whether to take the position or not.

Other candidates for the Orioles manager vacancies include...

Dusty Baker - he won NL Manager of the Year on 3 seperate occasions with 2 different teams, the Chicago Cubs (2000) and the San Fransisco Giants (1993 & 1997). Even though he seems like he could be a good fit, my feeling is that this would be an interview to abide by the MLB rules of interviewing a minority.

Davey Johnson - I always like Davey Johnson and I feel like he is probably the O's second choice behind Girardi. He was the last manager for the Orioles to lead the team to the post season and subsequently their last winning season in 1997 when the O's won the AL East.

Rick Dempsey - He was former catcher for the Orioles and a popular player among the fans. He is currently an Orioles analyst on MASN.

Dave Trembley - He is serving as interim manager, but just like Perlozzo was eventually hired as the official manager, the same could happen for Trembley. This would be a very highly unlikely situation and I do not for see this to happen unless he suddenly starts some 20 game win steak and the players respond to him on the field and proclaim how much they love him as their manager now. Not likely.

As for interviews with the 4 other candidates. There is nothing set up with Baker or Johnson. Dempsey is supposedly interviewing today. Trembley is basically interviewing right now just by being the interim manager.

On another note...

Sam Perlozzo told reporters that he is going to watch how the team does the rest of the season, and is willing to call Angelos and MacPhail at the conclusion of the season to see what type of position they are willing to offer him.

Leo Mazzone has also stated to the Orioles front office that he is not going to leave Baltimore because of the firing of Perlozzo. He said how he enjoys it in Baltimore and is particularly happy with the pitchers he has to work with and the young prospects he has to coach up into legit pitchers. He could be saying this in order to try and keep some sanity within the club house and could leave at the end of the 2007 season, especially if Perlozzo doesn't take a position the Orioles inetend to offer him. I still see him staying with the Orioles, with or without Perlozzo in the organization.
    I would my sell or do just about anything to have the..............
    - Orioles win the World Series -
    - Terps Football win the National Championship Bowl Game -
    - Ravens win the Super Bowl -
    - Terps Basketball win the NCAA Tournament -

..............in the same year!

MLB ERA

Girardi would be a moron to take this job when:
    a) he denied a similar job of turning around a perennial loser in the Nats
    b) he's the #1 choice for 90% of teams, including the Yankees whenever they dump Torre

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I would like the Yankees to hire him but they seem to be grooming Mattingly.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

My order of preference:

1) Davey
    2) Girardi
    3) Trembley
    999) Dusty Baker

Dempsey shouldn't even been considered.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTribe View Post
    My order of preference:

1) Davey
    2) Girardi
    3) Trembley
    999) Dusty Baker

Dempsey shouldn't even been considered.
    Dusty Baker shouldn't even be considered. Look at the wake of destroyed pitchers he left behind in San Fran and Chicago, Mark Prior being the prime example. Man can not manage pitchers and he shouldn't be allowed near outs with a 12 foot pole.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Dusty Baker shouldn't even be considered. Look at the wake of destroyed pitchers he left behind in San Fran and Chicago, Mark Prior being the prime example. Man can not manage pitchers and he shouldn't be allowed near outs with a 12 foot pole.
    That was the implication.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox