Thread: A Rant for the Pain of Losing: making my first post worth it

aka SmashUmFootball OsBros&NattyBos's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

A Rant for the Pain of Losing: making my first post worth it

The 2007 Sports Suffering of Baltimore, Maryland

As the 2006 AFC North Champions, a franchise best record of 13-3, and the #2 AFC Playoff seed, which was secured with by a 1st round bye, the Baltimore Ravens tragically lost to the Indianapolis Colts (eventual Super Bowl Champions) in the Divisional Round of the 2006 NFL Playoffs.

On this Saturday afternoon,
    January 13th, 2007, the Ravens would hold the Colts to 5 field goals and 0 touchdowns, the only team not to allow the Colts a touchdown in the 2006 NFL regular season. However Matt Stover's two field goals were not enough for Adam Vinatieri's five. Ending Baltimore's season with a 15-6 lost. The city of Baltimore and its beloved team was in shambles.

During March in Baltimore there were still fans who had the dagger in their heart from the very own Baltimore-home-grown hated Colts defeat over the Ravens. Although no only was that dagger still there, but the Ravens, which was an expected move by many, lost Adalius “AD” Thomas, a beloved hybrid style linebacker who was drafted and groomed to Pro Bowl status by the Ravens, to the Patriots via free agency (we wish him the best of luck, unless he is playing the Ravens, and we hope he comes back to Baltimore to retire as a Raven in the city that will miss him very much). This lost of AD did nothing but take the dagger and twist. The Ravens were able to trade for a new and younger running back with Willis Mcgahee and added some hope with QB prospect and Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith. None the less the season was over and all we could do was count until the 2007 NFL season began, or at least training camp.

However there was hope...

It was the starts of the 2007 MLB Season, and even though the Orioles had gone through 9 strait losing seasons and seen the Yankees win the American League East Division 9 times in a row, there was hope. There was hope that maybe just like 10 years ago when the Orioles won the East Division Title with a record of 98-64 they could do it again, or at least get above .500 for Baltimore’s sake. With the Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo having 1.5 seasons under his belt and newly acquired and infamous pitching coach Leo Mazzone having a season in CharmCity under his belt, Baltimore’s situation looked good. The birds of black and orange looked poised to do some damage and possibly have a record higher than .500, or to my stupid childish hopes win the AL East Division just like the O’s did 10 years ago.

With a sweep by the Detroit Tigers to start the season the O’s started out in the hole at 0-3. However come May 31th, 2007, with a 6-2 win against the L.A. Angels, the O’s hoisted themselves back to .500 with a 27-27 record, courtesy of a 6 game win streak, 3 wins which were part of a sweep of the Kansas City Royals. Just 3.5 games back of the AL Wildcard spot and 10 games behind the dominating 36-16 Boston Red Sox, all signs looked good to go and O’s fans were starting to have a sip of winning baseball again. Oh how sweet that sip was, but it was only a sip and it was just May.

In June the past nine years of baseball hell, which includes 4 different managers, including Perlozzo, and Lee Mazzilli, who was fired after the O’s, having a +10 game lead in the division past Memorial Day, lead the team to a complete collapse. In June, following the 6 game win streak, the Orioles went 2-12 and fell from 2nd place in the division to last place (5th place) with a record of 29-39.

Having gone 2-8 in late April through early May talks of firing manager Perlozzo started heating up after the O’s claimed a record of 12-14 in April. However the speculation of firing subsided when the Orioles finished out May with a 15-13 record, giving their overall season record 27-27. Perlozzo’s job seemed safe until now. In the month of June, up to the 17th, the Orioles have gone a pathetic 2-12, with lack of bullpen performance and run support on the games needed. There was talk, by the BaltimoreSun, May 27th, 2007 that former manager Davey Johnson is being considered to replace Sam Perlozzo as the Orioles Manager.

One can only think and hope that Davey Johnson will take over as manager for the O’s once again. During Johnson’s two season tenure he led the O’s to a combined 186-138 (.574). In 1996 he managed a 88-74 record, 2nd place in the American League East, and a wild card spot. In the 1996 post season the Orioles beat the Cleveland Indians in the American Divisional Round, but lost to the Yankees in the American Championship Round (that ****ing kid stole a sure out from Harold Banes glove). I still state the Orioles would have won the series and eventually beat the Atlanta Braves in the World Series. None the less, the following year Johnson delivered again with a 98-64 record, having the Orioles sit a top as champions of the American League East Division title, the first Division title since 1983. However after beating the Seattle Mariners in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, the O’s lost to the Cleveland Indians in the Championship Round of the American League. Manager Davey Johnson and Owner Peter Angelos divorced each other following the 1997 season when Johnson resigned due to “irreconcilable differences.”

However this is hope…

Firstly (and personally) we would hope Perlozzo is gone by early July and Davey Johnson is hired to take the reins again. Johnson has stated he wouldn’t want to dwell on what happened 1997, but would want to look forward.

Luckily looking forward is something the Orioles can definitely do.

The once week and feeble starting rotation of the Orioles has been boosted by Leo Mazzone. Erik Bedard, 28, has proven himself to be a reliable starting ace for the rotation. Daniel Cabrera, 26, has been solid. Adam Loewen, 23, is currently on the DL however he in times of play has shown a lot of potential to Mazzone will certainly mold into a dominate pitcher, as with Hayden Penn, 22, who also shows glimpses of greatness. Steve Traschsel, 36, adds a veteran arm that can help aid the young pitchers as they develop. Jeremy Guthrie, 28, deemed expendable by the Cleveland Indians has been a gem of a pick up and very much helped the organization with his 3-1 record and 2.57 ERA.

The bullpen which was once solid has now become the weakest part of our organization. On paper many of the closers look good but just have to perform better. Chris Ray, 25, leads the pack with youth and a plethora of talent. Other closers such as Chad Bradford, 32, Scott Williamson, 31, Jamie Walker, 35, and John Parrish, 29, all have been solid at times but blown leads at others. This is an area of the team I would hope is addressed during free agency to add some competition to those who are not living up to their potential.

The catchers Paul Bako, 34, has been great in relieving Roman Hernandez, 31, who has been in and out of the line-up with injuries in the 2007 season. The Orioles also drafted, with the 5th pick in the draft, Matthew Wieters the catcher from Georgia Tech. Wieters has been deemed “a once in a decade type of player.” He has a rocket arm to gun down those who try and steal bases, he can swing a bat and easily be 3rd or 4th in a line up, and has great baseball intuition. It is thought that he will play in the farm system for two seasons and start once Ramon’s contract is up, subsequently in two years. Although now people are saying he looks to the potential to start next season.

The Orioles have been blessed a surplus of talented infielders. Starting with, Miguel Tejada, 31, an all-star short stop and of the leaders of this team, what else can be said Miggy. Third baseman Melvin Mora, 35, is one of the better at his position. Brian Roberts, 29, at second base is a key defensive playmaker and an even more important and better lead off batter for the lineup. Kevin Millar, 35, plays first base and is the designated hitter at times is a great player and important positive personality and leader on this team. Aubrey Huff, 30, like Millar, play first base and is a designated hitter who plays both positions very well. Chris Gomez, 36, is an experienced under appreciated player who can play a multitude of positions to help any players that need a break or are injured.

In the outfield the Orioles have many key players. Nick Markakis, 23, is stellar in right field and has ever growing batting skills game by game. Corey Patterson, 27, in center field is great defensively and average batting, but nothing to complain about. In left field Jay Payton, 34, and Jay Gibbons, 30, compliment each other nicely. Both player are equal defensively, but Payton has the edge when it comes to batting.

There is a lot of potential on this team already and this team could become much better by adding one more player. First baseman of the Texas Rangers Mark Teixeira has been quoted saying “it would be his dream to play with the Baltimore Orioles.” Teixeira went to high school in the Baltimore area and is a phenomenal young talent with a gun for an arm and amazing batting skills. There are currently many trade rumors flying around with different teams interested in him. However it is apparent that the Orioles are the front runners for the talented first basemen. Teixeira is supposed to be placed on the 15 day DL, apparently during this time the O’s will be trying to settle a trade agreement to acquire him once he is off. There has been talks of sending Chris Ray, Nick Markakis, or Adam Loewen for Teixeira. I would personally like to see Markakis stay with the O’s although this could be tough. However the Rangers are lacking pitching, but the loss of Teixeira would mean that a batter would have go too.

My fantasy trade would be Mark Teixeira for a combination of Aubrey Huff (1B/DH), Ramon Hernandez (C), Adam Loewen (SP), Brian Burres (SP), John Parrish (CP), 2008 1st Round Draft Pick, and a prospect player or player. Clearly all of these players wouldn’t go but some would and each has positives.

Aubrey Huff (1B/DH) – At only 30 he still has many years left. He could cover 1B for the departure of Teixeira even though his batting skills are not as good, he has 4 HR, .276 AVG, 31 RBI, 21 R.

Ramon Hernandez (C) – He is 31 with a solid arm to get runners stealing. So far with 119 at bats he has 3 HR with .244 AVG, 27 RBI, 14 R, 1 SB. He may not be an upgrade for them but he could use him in another trade to bring in more talent by tagging him with some prospects.

Adam Loewen (SP) – At 23 he has enormous potential to help the Rangers pitching for many years to come. This season he has pitched 30.1 innings, 2-0, 3.56 ERA, 22 Ks. He has been plagued with an injury this season but has the skills to be the ace of their staff in a few years.

Brian Burres (SP) – He is only 26 years old and has 45.0 Innings Pitched with a 3-2 a 2.80 ERA and 36 Ks.

John Parrish (CP) – He is a 29 year old left hander who pitched 25.1 innings with a 2-0 record 5.33 ERA and 25 Ks.

2008 1st Round Draft Pick – Even with Teixeira the Orioles are not looking to finish out the year very strongly right now, expecially if some of our better pitchers or closers are traded to the Rangers so with their 1st Round Pick and the O’s 1st round pick in 2008 the Rangers could be looking at potentially two top 10 picks in the draft, which if there is a player that they want then it could easily be traded away with a 2nd round pick to move up to the top 2 or 3 spots, of that isn’t where one of their picks will be anyway.

Prospect Players – we don’t have to many prospects besides Wieters who we just drafted and will not part with, however Haden Penn is a starting pitcher who I would not want to see go but could be added in. Anyhow you normally add in prospect players not matter.

I feel a combination of the 7 players or picks would be able to compensate the Rangers for the loss of Teixtera.

That is my rant and I feel better already because watching the O’s keep losing is killing me slowly.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: A Rant for the Pain of Losing: making my first post worth it

First of all, welcome to the forums. You'll really like it here.

Second of all, concerning your trade proposal, it is against Major League Baseball rules to trade draft picks, so you can forget about the idea of selling a first rounder to Texas, no matter how valuable the draft pick may be.

Finally, as a Dodger fan, I can say that Davey Johnson is just another manager whom everybody will want fired when the team isn't doing well.

MLB ERA

Welcome to the site.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forums. You'll really like it here.
    Thanks for the welcome.

Second of all, concerning your trade proposal, it is against Major League Baseball rules to trade draft picks, so you can forget about the idea of selling a first rounder to Texas, no matter how valuable the draft pick may be.
    Oh yeah, see I am more knowledgeable about football and trading picks in that sense, I didn't realize that is how it even works, well that sucks too because then I feel like we are going to have to get trade Markakis ,most likely, in order to get Teixeira.

Finally, as a Dodger fan, I can say that Davey Johnson is just another manager whom everybody will want fired when the team isn't doing well.
    I guess since it looks like as an O's fan I will be experiencing my 10th strait losing season after two seasons where my team made it to the ALCS, and in those two seasons Davey Johnson was the manager so it what I hold onto. I wasn't born during the "glory years" of the O's so "My Glory Years" are 1996-1997 when Johnson was at the helm.

I don't like Sam Perlozzo though and I really want to have a more cut throat kind of manager not this nice guy junk, and I think Davey would give that spark the team needs.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OsBros&NattyBos View Post
    The 2007 Sports Suffering of Baltimore, Maryland

In June the past nine years of baseball hell, which includes 4 different managers, including Perlozzo, and Lee Mazzilli, who was fired after the O’s, having a +10 game lead in the division past Memorial Day, lead the team to a complete collapse. In June, following the 6 game win streak, the Orioles went 2-12 and fell from 2nd place in the division to last place (5th place) with a record of 29-39.
    In June, following the 6 game win streak, the Orioles went 2-13 and fell from 2nd place in the division to last place (5th place) with a record of 29-40. The Orioles are now on a 8 game losing streak, once again the bullpen gave up the two run that broke the tie to make it an official 5-3 lost. Once again a good starting pitching that won't be recognize because of the bullpen. (that is added to my rant officially!)
    - ~~~ - ~~~ -
    I will at least give Sam Perlozzo some credit, it took screaming BOOs from O's fans to give Sammy some balls keep the starting pitcher in through the 7th inning, but we still lost. What does it matter? $42 Million on middle relievers and some closers and we have lost AT LEAST 15 games because of them. I will say they can never be perfect every game, but there is a good 8 games we should have won that we lost because of the bullpen.

Let's do the math! Add 8 more games and we are....... 37-32, and that puts us in 2nd place in the AL East approximately 6 games behind the Red Sox, and approximately 1.5 - 2 games behind the wild card chase. Oy Vey!

Only in my dreams...
    I would my sell or do just about anything to have the..............
    - Orioles win the World Series -
    - Terps Football win the National Championship Bowl Game -
    - Ravens win the Super Bowl -
    - Terps Basketball win the NCAA Tournament -

..............in the same year!

Rookie ERA

and let me just add one more thing (as i am now posting to myself basically). I was just watching the locker room interview with Kevin Millar was asked about management and if a change would be good. He immediately said he would refuse to talk about that! very aggressively he said how he was mad how he came in to pinch hit and he struck out on a high and away fastball.

I love personalities like that in the locker room, he won't air out any dirty laundry he strictly is focusing on his game in interviews and behind close doors is where he and the other players will say what they need.

I think i am trying to find too much positives out of a negative.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Like the other guys said, welcome to the site...you seem like a very passionate sports fan, the type we would love to have around.

And don't feel too bad, you got your last two wishes in this decade.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Like the other guys said, welcome to the site...you seem like a very passionate sports fan, the type we would love to have around.

And don't feel too bad, you got your last two wishes in this decade.
    Well the Terps have to win the NCAA tournament in the next two years, possibly 2 more if i stay here for grad school, because it is so much sweeter when ur the student at the school that wins.