Thread: Miguel Tejada; trade bait?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Miguel Tejada; trade bait?

It was not lost on Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada that he easily could have been preparing for last night's game as a member of the Los Angeles Angels. The Orioles and Angels aggressively discussed a deal before last year's waiver trade deadline that would have sent Tejada to the Angels for pitcher Ervin Santana and infielder Erick Aybar.

But Orioles owner Peter Angelos did not want to trade Tejada for that return and Tejada also didn't want to learn to play third base in the middle of a pennant race. So he remained an Oriole and for now, the rumors of Tejada going to the Angels, who still are looking for a bat and a third baseman, have subsided.

"Last year, there was a lot of comments, but I just wanted to come here and play baseball," he said. "I'm pretty happy with the situation that we are in right now."

Tejada reiterated yesterday that he'd like to stay with the Orioles, but acknowledged that it is largely out of his control. At this point, the Orioles have had no serious discussions about trading Tejada, but that could change if the club falls further out of it near the trade deadline.

"There is nothing I can do about it. I just work here," said Tejada. "I play here and I am going to be here until the team decides that I am not going to be here. For me, I hope there are no rumors about trading me. But if they come, there is nothing I can do. They are going to be out of my mind. I am just going to play baseball."
    site services | baltimoresun.com

At least he seems to have a better attitude than what he had inthe past regarding trade talks. Having him on the trade block could make for very interesting months ahead until the deadline. Interesting...

Re: Miguel Tejada; trade bait?

There is no doubt that Tejada's name is going to pop up. Still, we all saw it last year, which was the Orioles asking for a mint for Tejada.

Check that, it was Angelos asking for the mint and superceding Flanagan/Duquette. When it involves our star player, who is signed very reasonably and in his prime, I will take Angelos' meddling.

His name will be coming up, rumored to the Angels and many other teams. However, it is not going to be happening anytime soon. The asking price will be extremely high. My guess is that it starts with a top shortstop prospect to immediately fill the void of Tejada, plus a starter that is close to ace caliber. That is just to start the negotiations.

Turn 2

Re: Miguel Tejada; trade bait?

I think it is about time to unload Mr. Tejada. He has not produced as we Orioles fans have expected him to and if we could get some great talent for him I would say go for it. We have a legit SS prospect in the system in Brandon Fahey and could fill that with him. We need a power hitter corner outfielder or Power hitting 1B. If we can only get minor prospects for Tejada I say NO go.