Thread: O's Likely Carry 13 PITCHERS

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

O's Likely Carry 13 PITCHERS

washingtonpost.com

I just don't understand this. It will most likely leave us with a bench of Kevin Millar, Chris Gomez, and Paul ****ing Bako.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

AA ERA
    Very interesting. I guess if they don't have anyone worth using on the bench, it might be the right move.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA
    They have plenty of guys that they could use on the bench that address major needs. Jon Knott (adequate LF/1B/DH who can crush LHP), Jason Dubois (adequate 1B/DH who can also hit LHP), JR House (adequate C/1B/DH who can flat out hit), but instead they want a 13th pitcher who will be used once ever two weeks. And if they don't pick the 13th pitcher, then they may go w/ Freddie Bynum (Util guy who can't hit, but can run), Adam Stern (sucks), or Ruddy Yan (see Freddy Bynum) who would all be terrible choices as well.

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

AA ERA
    Don't hate on Stern, he was a Husker. Agreed that a 13th pitcher really isn't all that usefull. Unless your staff is that terrible, that the pitcher will be used. You'd think with many games back to back maybe have a utility guy who could start for someone would be worthwhile.
    I aim to try

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA
    After Stern's .688 OPS in AAA last year, I'm not willing to even let him near a major league bench.

This is just all so funny b/c most teams contemplate only carrying 11 pitchers early in the season since there are so many days off and the 5th starter can be skipped so often.

It also compounds the fact that the O's were TERRIBLE against LHP last year, yet they insist on starting Corey Patterson and Jay Gibbons everyday.

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

AA ERA
    Good ol C-Pat lol.

Didn't realize Stern was that terrrrrible. Was he decent with the Sox? Oh well, I wouldn't mind seeing him make a few trips through town in AAA.

And agreed on how odd it is that when most teams want to reduce pitchers, the O's want to increase pitchers.
    I aim to try

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    No, Stern was not decent with the Sox, no matter how much Fishercat overrates him.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

If I were a manager in today's game, I would carry 13 pitchers as well. Get the other team out by committee. It sounds like a good philosophy to me!

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    If I were a manager in today's game, I would carry 13 pitchers as well. Get the other team out by committee. It sounds like a good philosophy to me!
    Is the 13th guy worth having though? If 12 aren't gonna get worn out too much, and the 13th guy is obviously worse then the 12th, why throw him out there? Why not 14? Why not 15? Why not 16 and just have 1 utility guy?
    I aim to try

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

well here is my defensive of my comment:

1.) With the O's being in the AL, and using the DH as a full-time hitter, AL managers are NOT going to pinch-hit as often, so why NOT carry an extra pitcher. That way you can use a couple of them as situational pitchers, especially if they are the 12th and 13th man in the pen. This way, they can get their feet wet, and gain some experience in the big league and not have a ton of pressure put on them.

2.) This same teory sort of works in the NL, it is just based on manager-to-manager, and their philosophy. I still would like that extra pitcher just in case!! How many times throughtout the season don't you see managers wish they had an extra arm in the pen and not that extra hitter. Just seems like that scenario happens more than the extra hitter.

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Having 13 pitchers is not permanent. Given the youth of our top 3 starters, Perlozzo wanted to have 2 long relievers. The O's start the year off with a brutal schedule, playing all 4 AL playoff teams from last year. I am more disgusted with Bynam making the team than carrying 13 pitchers.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA
    I'm disgusted w/ both of those decisions. Actually, I'm pretty much disgusted w/ the whole organization.

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox