Thread: enough pitching?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

enough pitching?

do you guys think the O's have enough pitching to stay in the playoff hunt? I think it will be interesting...but I don't think their pitching will hold up and the 2 loser franchises will continue their reign, but I'm rooting for the O's to knock them out!

AA ERA
    So am I.

Cabera and Bedard really has to pick up the load. I think they will be great pitchers, but this is their first full year as starters.

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Well at least now 6 weeks in, this question is being asked, instead of "you don't have any pitching". Only time will tell Providence. So far so good. Scouts fervently study the game and I woud say that intelligence will catch up with the young guys soon enough, but I don't think they will tail off that dramatically. In Bedards case, He has had 6 or 7 starts this year, and only once has he given up more than 1 earned run. If you take out his one bad start versus Detroit in wich he gave up 8 runs over 4 2/3, he has an era of something like .77, will they stay healthy. Alot also hinges on Sidney Ponson as well. He is starting to show the form of the pitcher in 2003 that was chasing 20 wins and being an innings monster, he's the graybeard on this staff at 27.

If the Orioles continue to play well and stay in contention, I can see a trade or 2 being made this summer, I can see a starting pitcher and a 1B being sought in B'more, even with a humongous contract, I would not be surprised to see Todd Helton in Baltimore before the deadline, as the Rockies have loosened thier stance in recent days and only figures to be more likely available if the Rockies continue to slide.

Also, we have 2 young guns in the minors, John Maine and Hayden Penn who WILL see action this year at Camden Yards.

AA ERA
    If the O's can get Helton, George Porgie may have to jump of the GWB.

Rookie ERA
    I think we have more than enough starting pitching to win this division. We might not have a great "one-two punch" like Pedro and Curt Schilling, but our 3-4-5 starters are among the best in the majors, and the entire rotation has ERA's under 5.00. Combine that with a very deep bullpen and a lights-out closer, and things are looking pretty good.

I'm more worried about the offense, with Raffy looking old, Sosa and Matos injured, and Brian Roberts sure to cool off eventually. Should be interesting this year as we approach the trading deadline, to see who might be out there to help us.

AAA ERA
    It all depends if the young guys arms can hold up through the grind of a full season. There's no doubt they have the ability but this may be their learning year before they truly take off in '06, Baltimore is set up to be a real contender in the near future.