Thread: A possibility that Angelos sells to an ownership group including Ripken?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A possibility that Angelos sells to an ownership group including Ripken?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld.com
    Dec. 14 - 8:27 pm et

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that Peter Angelos and Cal Ripken Jr. are discussing a gradual transfer of ownership of the Orioles to a group that would include Ripken.
    The sooner the better. However, Rosenthal reports the chances of such a sale occurring anytime soon are remote and that the 77-year-old Angelos may decide to leave the club to his sons rather than sell.
    Per Rotoworld.com

I really think based on the limited knowledge I have of Angelos is that he would leave it in his family, but I have to imagine the chance of Ripken being involved up at the top would be quite an ideal thought for any Orioles fan.

MLB ERA
    An Orioles fan at this point wants to kill every member of the Angelos family just so this can happen. I don't think there is a more hated man in any sport than Peter Angelos.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Essentially for a modern day Orioles fan we're talking about the ultimate showdown between all thats good with the world and all thats evil with the world.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I just have to say that this would be retarted HUGE for this organization.

That all!

Whaddya think Thomas?

Wow, I'm late to get back here. Everything's just built up, with finals and pulling close to fourty hours a week at my job, a first for me. Haven't had time to check in regularily as I wanted to.

Anyway, it doesn't look likely, as the day after this rumor broke, Angelos vehemently denied it. I wouldn't mind it. Cal Ripken wouldn't be a full owner, of course. In all likelihood, he would be like Joe Gibbs on the Redskins, sans the coach. Ripken would be a small owner, probably about 5%, but in the role of Team President or something similar. Definately the perfect guy to have at the top of the organization, and in charge of everyday running of the team. I would love for it to happen, but it won't. Angelos really believes this team can win, and he won't sell them until they start winning.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Cal Ripken Jr. would be interesting in buying the Baltimore Orioles if Peter Angelos decides to sell the team.

Ripken Professional Baseball has owned the Class A Aberdeen Ironbirds of the New York-Penn League since 2002 and the Class A Augusta GreenJackets of the South Atlantic League since 2005.

There has been speculation that Ripken would want to own the Orioles and he was asked Wednesday about a possible purchase at the Hall of Fame news conference.

"I haven't been approached," he said. "I've thought about that, yes, and if an opportunity were to arise, if Mr. Angelos would want to sell the club, it would be an interesting thought process to go through."

Ripken spent 21 seasons playing for the Orioles before his retirement in 2001. He and Tony Gwynn were elected to the Hall of Fame on Tuesday in their first appearances on the ballot and will be inducted this July.

Angelos has owned the Orioles since 1993.

"Right now I'm very content in learning the business in the minor leagues and also developing kids' complexes and really growing the game of baseball at the grass-roots level," Ripken said. "But certainly if that ever became an opportunity, I certainly would look to be a part of that."
    Where there is smoke, there is fire. I couldn't think of a better person to become owner than Mr. Oriole himself. He has been through the roughest of time and the bes of times in a O's uniform. He knows what it takes to win and its not by signing guys like Patterson and Millar. For the good of the game I hope this happens.