Thread: Latest Trade Rumors- 11/28

Orioles Latest Trade Rumors- 11/28

Flanagan said that the club is still hoping to add more depth to its relief corps. One industry source said last night that the Orioles and Bradford, a 32-year-old right-hander who went 4-2 with a 2.90 ERA for the Mets last season, were "close" to reaching agreement on a deal.

Rex Gary, Bradford's agent, acknowledged yesterday afternoon that he has had ongoing discussions with the Orioles, though more than 10 teams have expressed interest in his client and he had no timetable for making a decision.

"The Orioles have been certainly in touch," Gary said. "We'll see where it goes. All along, if the right situation comes in front of Chad and he wants to do the deal, we'll do it."

If the Orioles were to finalize a deal with Bradford, that would allow the front office to concentrate on filling vacancies at first base and left field. The Orioles have a one-year deal on the table to first baseman Kevin Millar , who is seeking a two-year contract. It's possible the two sides could bridge the gap with a one-year deal plus an option year.

David Dellucci became the latest free-agent outfielder to leave the market as he signed with the Cleveland Indians yesterday, making the Orioles' free-agent outfield options even thinner. The club has been in touch with the representatives of free-agent outfielders Jay Payton, Cliff Floyd, Trot Nixon, Aubrey Huff and Jose Guillen among others, but at this point, the Orioles haven't made a concrete offer to any of them, according to industry sources.

"We have an interest in Baltimore, but it's not too far along," said Craig Landis, the agent for the Oakland Athletics' Payton. "We would consider Baltimore, but all we've done so far is [that] they have said they might be interested in Jay and we said we are willing to listen."

Flanagan said the club is still confident it will add a solid hitter through a trade or free agency.

"Some of the more noticeable players have been taken off the board, but we think there are still other avenues certainly with possible trades and some free agents, and maybe have to look at some more longer-shot offensive-type players," Flanagan said. "We still think there are some people to be had."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball
    Bradford would be another good addition to the pen, as it looks like he is close. Another guy to help bridge the gap to Chris Ray, and he provides the Orioles with plenty of options coming out of the bullpen. It looks like it is close to being finished, but I'll be watching for official news.

As for Kevin Millar and outfielders, I would re-sign Millar and place him back at first base. We really need his leadership, and he had a solid season for us. If there is any outfielder I would love to add, it would be Jose Guillen. He never really caused problems with the Washington Nationals, and is a very good five-tool talent to place on any team. I would certainly be concerned with his shoulder, but the reward is a great offensive talent. I would go that direction if the Brewers are no longer interested in a Rodrigo Lopez for Kevin Mench swap.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Orioles "goal" is reportedly to find a "power-hitting outfielder, whether it is through a trade or free-agent signing."
    Baltimore whiffed on Alfonso Soriano and Carlos, and is now said to be focusing on Cliff Floyd and Luis Gonzalez. The Orioles said Wednesday that they will likely not be going after starters Ted Lilly, Gil Meche or Jeff Suppan.
    Gonzalez would be a better fit than Floyd. Mora is also pushing for Gonzalez as well as Aubrey Huff. Huff>Millar and Gonzo>Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Gonzalez would be a better fit than Floyd. Mora is also pushing for Gonzalez as well as Aubrey Huff. Huff>Millar and Gonzo>Floyd.
    I don't want Aubrey Huff, especially if it costs us Kevin Millar. Yeah, call me crazy, but I don't want to add a brooding attitude like Aubrey Huff to this team over Kevin Millar, our leader from last season, no matter how good the fit is for Huff.

As for Gonzalez over Floyd, I won't disagree with you there. Gonzalez is definately more durable, and a great left-handed bat to add into our lineup. My only concern is that Gonzalez will struggle in his return to the AL. Again, I would LOVE to have Jose Guillen in a perfect world, but its a huge gamble.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Huff with an attitude? When did this happen? And when did Millar become the leader of this team? I thought it was Mora.

MLB ERA
    I'm not sure where Cliff Floyd would fit. His defense is suspect at best and his offensive production is not good enough to keep him on a team as a DH. He can't run anymore and doesn't have the bat-speed he once did.
    Gonzo would be a lot better.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon