Thread: O's Continue Pen Upgrade, Add Danys Baez

Orioles O's Continue Pen Upgrade, Add Danys Baez

The Orioles have struck out to this point in adding a slugger to the middle of their lineup, but they are having no such problems in overhauling their bullpen. According to club sources, the Orioles have agreed in principal to a three-year deal with Atlanta Braves free-agent reliever Danys Baez, who will join recent acquisition Jamie Walker as one of Chris Ray's primary set-up men.

Baez's deal hinges on the right-hander passing a physical, which could happen as early as Monday. Though exact terms of the deal aren't known, it is believed the Orioles will pay between $5 million and $6 million per season for the 29-year-old pitcher, who has 111 saves in six big league seasons.

Reached Sunday night, Orioles vice president Jim Duquette acknowledged that the club had made an offer to Greg Genske, Baez's agent, but wouldn't confirm that a deal had been finalized.

Baez, 5-6 last year with nine saves and a 4.53 ERA while pitching for the Braves and the Los Angeles Dodgers, was reportedly seeking an opportunity to be a closer, a role he held with the Cleveland Indians in 2003 and with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in 2004 and 2005.

The Orioles are committed to Ray as their closer, though the deal the club is believed to have reached with Baez is the latest proof of how serious the organization is about upgrading its relief corps, which had the second-worst ERA in the majors last year.

Last week, the Orioles signed Walker, a 35-year-old left-handed situational reliever, to a three-year deal worth $12 million. They also learned that one of their top bullpen targets, Toronto Blue Jays free-agent right-hander Justin Speier, turned down their three-year offer and signed a four-year, $18 million contract with the Los Angeles Angels.

Speier, Baez and Walker were considered three of the top set-up men available on the market.

Duquette said Sunday night that the club is still hoping to sign one more reliever before the winter meetings, which start next Monday in Orlando, Fla. The Orioles have made offers to the New York Mets' Chad Bradford, Florida Marlins' Joe Borowski and Chicago White Sox's Dustin Hermanson.

At this point, Borowski is the least likely candidate to join the Orioles, as he is seeking an opportunity to close.

Baez made the All-Star team in 2005 for Tampa Bay, going 5-4 with 41 saves and a 2.86 ERA. He did blow eight save chances that season.

Last year, he struggled after being acquired by the Dodgers in a preseason trade with Tampa Bay. While replacing injured closer Eric Gagne, Baez had nine saves in 16 opportunities for the Dodgers, who traded the pitcher to the Braves in late July in a deal that landed Los Angeles third baseman Wilson Betemit.

Baez went 0-1 with a 5.40 ERA in 11 games with the Braves before his season ended on Aug. 26 after an emergency appendectomy.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball
    I thought Baez would be holding out for a closer job, although there might be fewer available than I thought. He had an off-year in 2006, but I blame that on facing new competition in the National League. It is difficult for many players to make that transition, and be successful, in just a season. Especially if they are moved at the trade deadline to another team like Baez was in 06. I really like him in our bullpen as a setup man, because he can be relied upon to make around 70 appearances per season, and go multiple innings if need be.

The added bonus for the Orioles is that they get a player who is an experienced closer if Chris Ray experiences a sophomore slump (the risk is always there) and one who is also experienced with the AL East. Baez was overpaid, but what are you going to do this off-season? The Orioles needed bullpen help, and got two of the best names out there. Can't argue with that one, as the money is being spent properly.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They overpaid somewhat, but in this market, it's one of the few deals that doesn't make me sick. Given the fact that Baez is still fairly young, has had some nice success in his career and still has a good year.... the chance for a bounceback season (and I do think he will fit nicely as a setup man back in the AL) makes this deal worth it. Some of the relief contracts are going to be hideous this offseason, so overpaying on a guy with a lot of life left isn't a bad move at all. Good move by the Orioles here.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    They overpaid somewhat, but in this market, it's one of the few deals that doesn't make me sick. Given the fact that Baez is still fairly young, has had some nice success in his career and still has a good year.... the chance for a bounceback season (and I do think he will fit nicely as a setup man back in the AL) makes this deal worth it. Some of the relief contracts are going to be hideous this offseason, so overpaying on a guy with a lot of life left isn't a bad move at all. Good move by the Orioles here.
    I mean, we did it with Walker, so why not Baez? Our bullpen does need some veteran guys in it, and that is what we've accomplished this season. It is overpaying, and yes, it makes me sick too at some of the contracts. Much like the Reds signing Alex Gonzalez, it is a need and can be justified because of that. Plus, playing with Leo Mazzone never hurt anyone, and that should help facilitate a bounceback year for Baez.

MLB ERA
    A nice move if this team actually had a chance. But they don't. So it's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    A nice move if this team actually had a chance. But they don't. So it's stupid.
    Care to elaborate? It is kind of hard to have a debate when I don't even know why you think the Orioles do not have a chance.........

MLB ERA
    When was the last time they made it to the playoffs? I don't write off teams, well maybe the Royals.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Orioles will finish last this season. This organization is utterly clueless.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    I don't have to elaborate on why the Orioles will suck. The next season will tell the story.