Well, this isn't exactly a "running" race...but still, congrats to him.

Brian Roberts doesn't ask for attention for the things he does in the community. In fact, the second baseman often tries to duck the spotlight for his charitable endeavors, choosing instead to do them without fanfare.

This year, though, that may not be possible. Roberts was named the Orioles' nominee for the Roberto Clemente Award, which is awarded annually to a player who makes a difference to the community around him. Clemente died in a plane crash while attempting to provide disaster relief to Nicaragua in 1972, and Roberts takes his role seriously.

"You can win all the awards you want for performance, but I think we've been put in a very special place to be able to impact people's lives outside of baseball," he said. "Twenty years from now, nobody will remember my batting average from this year or how many home runs I hit -- even if we go to the playoffs. But if you can make a difference in a kid's life, that can make an impact for life. We're very blessed, and you just try to find a way to give things back."

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=bal

Nice to hear a good service story...