Thread: Notes: Javy Lopez Likely To Sit In Atlanta

Orioles Notes: Javy Lopez Likely To Sit In Atlanta

Javy Lopez said he's excited to return to Atlanta, where he spent the first 12 seasons of his major league career. But with the Orioles not allowed to use a designated hitter in this weekend's series against the Braves, Lopez might not see much action.

Lopez caught Thursday night, and Perlozzo said Ramon Hernandez likely would start behind the plate throughout the series against the Braves.

"I am just going to enjoy to be out there and see my kids," said Lopez, who lives in Duluth, Ga. "But whether I am going to play over there or not, that's something that I don't know."

Lopez missed the second game of Wednesday's doubleheader with a sore back and said he probably should have sat out the opener as well. He was back catching Rodrigo Lopez Thursday night and even discussed possibly returning to play for Atlanta before the end of his career.

"I'd always like to leave with good memories," Lopez said. "Certainly, the last year with the Braves was the best year of my career. It would be good to leave the fans with that good memory of me."

Several other Orioles will be making homecomings, including former Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone and pitchers Bruce Chen and Russ Ortiz. Kris Benson lives in Atlanta in the offseason, and Corey Patterson and Nick Markakis are from Georgia.

Roberts gaining strength
    Friends from around baseball bombarded Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts with text messages after he hit his first home run of the season Wednesday.

"It was like the first time I've ever played the game," he said. "[Texas Rangers outfielder] Kevin Mench asked me if I was on the home-run-a-year program."

Roberts had a breakout power season with 18 homers in 2005, but the catastrophic elbow injury he suffered in September kept him from strength training in the offseason. He has had no trouble keeping his average over .300 this year, but he hadn't been hitting the ball with much lift before he pulled a pitch deep into the left-field stands against the Philadelphia Phillies.

"My arm is feeling 100 times better than it did two months ago," he said. "I've gotten stronger and I've been able to lift. The guys here, [hitting coach Terry Crowley] and our strength coach, said, 'Man, your swing looks a lot better now than it did in April.' Not just my swing, but just being able to drive balls. The ball has been jumping off my bat more."

Roberts said he's having the rare experience of getting stronger as the season progresses. Until recently, for example, he couldn't bend his arm back far enough to hold the weight bar so he could do squats.

Roberts believes he will return to hitting 15 to 20 homers a year if he stays healthy. Manager Sam Perlozzo agrees.

"In his defense, we should be tickled to death that he's even on the field and hitting .300," Perlozzo said. "I think that once the season is over and he has a full offseason to work on his baseball skills and just get his strength back to where he was, he'll get his share."

Hit by pitches
    Phillies pitchers hit five Orioles batters during Wednesday's doubleheader and the Orioles now lead the American League in hit by pitches with 44.

Catcher Ramon Hernandez was hit once in each game, while third baseman Melvin Mora and outfielders Luis Matos and Markakis were hit in the second game.

Perlozzo didn't believe any of the hit by pitches were intentional but said the Phillies, like many teams, have pitched inside to Orioles hitters.

Around the horn
    Ottawa left-hander Franklyn Gracesqui cleared waivers and was outrighted to the Triple-A Lynx, leaving the Orioles with 38 players on their 40-man roster. ... Double-A Bowie right-handers James Johnson and Marino Salas and outfielder Cory Keylor were named Double-A Eastern League All-Stars.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball

Its a shame Lopez has to sit against his former team, but since Ramon Hernandez is tearing it up again, and a much better defensive catcher, that just leaves Lopez out in the cold. He could get in as a pinch hitter, but thats it.

As I said in a previous thread, Roberts is coming along slowly. He had to start from square one with his elbow, being careful not to injure it further. Now that he is back strength training, the homers and doubles will start coming back, further adding to Roberts' spark at the top of the order.