Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baltimore Orioles Random Comment Thread

Hayden Penn is really having a tough year
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

And suddenly, Benson may want out...

Kris Benson plans to meet with Orioles management after the season before deciding whether to use his right to demand a trade away from Baltimore.
    "It's a matter of talking during the offseason and see if we can work something out and make it worth my while, and make it worth their while," Benson said. "It's just a matter of what their plans are with the team. I want to win. That's what it all boils down to." Since he was traded in the middle of a multiyear deal, Benson can demand a trade, though if he does that, he'd have to forgo free agency after his contract expires. Benson might ask the Orioles to guarantee his 2008 club option at $7.5 million in return for not demanding the trade. It's clear that the club would prefer not to have to move him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    And suddenly, Benson may want out...

Kris Benson plans to meet with Orioles management after the season before deciding whether to use his right to demand a trade away from Baltimore.
    "It's a matter of talking during the offseason and see if we can work something out and make it worth my while, and make it worth their while," Benson said. "It's just a matter of what their plans are with the team. I want to win. That's what it all boils down to." Since he was traded in the middle of a multiyear deal, Benson can demand a trade, though if he does that, he'd have to forgo free agency after his contract expires. Benson might ask the Orioles to guarantee his 2008 club option at $7.5 million in return for not demanding the trade. It's clear that the club would prefer not to have to move him.
    What I gather from that, is that Kris Benson just wants assurances by the Orioles that his 2008 option will be picked up, and that he will be with the Orioles for two more seasons.

Really, I think its best that we do that, and keep him. Benson, without any prompting, came in to the organization, and immediately took the leadership role for the pitchers, specifically our young starters. He is a solid #3 guy, and I'd like to see him in that role next season. Starting pitching will be one of the largest priorities this offseason, finding someone to pair with Erik Bedard at the top of the rotation. I would not mind Barry Zito at all, but if Steinbrenner decides that Mike Mussina's option is too expensive, I really want Mussina back in Baltimore.

MLB ERA
    Is Kris Benson worth what they are paying him? He pitches really well one day and really poorly the next. He is a frustrating pitcher to watch.

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    The bullpen is the most glaring weakness, they are the reason for 50% of this teams losses this year, I cringe every time a starter leaves the game, already knowing the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoomon1jd
    The bullpen is the most glaring weakness, they are the reason for 50% of this teams losses this year, I cringe every time a starter leaves the game, already knowing the inevitable.
    Ever think it is because the starters don't make it deep into games? The bullpen was gassed in July because starters could never make it past 6 innings, save for Bedard. Williams, Birkins, and Britton had great numbers up until July, when they were used a lot and for many innings, and just fell apart.

I was extremely disappointed that our starters did not have more stamina, although it could be a side effect of the two side sessions that Mazzone requires his starters to throw between starts (most other teams only require one side session.) I am fairly certain Mazzone wasn't planning for this year, but is getting the young pitchers conditioned for next year. I'll withhold judgement for now.

Well, Tejada was named as the team's MVP by local sports writers, in one of the lesser surprises ever. However, Erik Bedard has one start against the Red Sox to be the first O's 16-game winner this millennium, since Mike Mussina in 1999.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man I didnt know Bedard was tearing it up like that. Nice to see an Oriole pitching well. It has been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Man I didnt know Bedard was tearing it up like that. Nice to see an Oriole pitching well. It has been a while.
    Bedard had a really rough May, so much that he started to abandon his changeup, making everything that much worse. Around the beginning of June, Kris Benson took him aside, and showed him how to throw the circle change, taught to him by Tom Glavine. Ever since then, Bedard has thrown extremely well. If not for that bad May......and an offensive lack after the AS Break, Bedard was a potential 20 game winner. Us Oriole fans are hopeful that comes for him in 2007.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I have hope that he will be nasty in 07. Thanks for the background on how he learned that changeup bro. You definitely know your stuff. Now if he can hold on to that changeup and keep it on track, you guys have a good thing going for next season.

Did you actually see the difference in his changeup after said change was in effect?

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I have hope that he will be nasty in 07. Thanks for the background on how he learned that changeup bro. You definitely know your stuff. Now if he can hold on to that changeup and keep it on track, you guys have a good thing going for next season.

Did you actually see the difference in his changeup after said change was in effect?
    I did, actually. The circle change had a lot more movement on it, and really had many hitters second-guessing themselves. That effect was magnified, as Bedard is a lefty. Needless to say, we still are holding him to high expectations for the next season. Most likely, Bedard will serve as the ace, and a free agent will be brought in as the #2 guy behind him (if you read my article I posted in the general section somewhere, I'm hoping it is Mussina, but I haven't heard anything new about Steinbrenner letting his option go.)

Re: Baltimore Orioles Random Comment Thread

Th O's have to turn it around in a hurry.

Turn 2

The Orioles after playing some inspiring ball the last few games, came out and really played crappy with alot of mistakes yesterday. They have a tough two home series ahead of them in the Yankess and Angels.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I really like the future of the Orioles with players Bedard, Loewen,Cabrera,Guthrie, Ray, Roberts,Markakis, Hernandez, Tejada.

Turn 2

The Orioles do have a strong future ahead of them especially when it comes to there pitching. With Bedard looking like a true ace and Adam Loewen, Daniel Cabrera, and Jeremy Guthrie that is a strong 4-some. Also waiting in the wings is Garrett Olsen and maybe Hayden Penn. The bullpen looks to have a bright future ahead of them as well, with veterans Bradford and Walker to lead the way and youngsters with alot of promise in Chris Ray, Jim Hoey, Brian Burres, and Sendy Rheal. You also cannot forget about the hitting which is becoming very strong as well. With strong players already in place like Brian Roberts, Nick Markakis, Ramon Hernandez, Miguel Tejada, and Aubrey Huff. They also have Brandon Fahey, Jon Knott, Jeff Fiorintino and Adam Stern waiting in the wings. Looks to be a strong future ahead for the Birds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12