Thread: Notes: Hernandez Brings Bat, Too

Orioles Notes: Hernandez Brings Bat, Too

Toronto // Ramon Hernandez has never hit more than 21 home runs in any of his seven big league seasons. He's also never hit over .290 or driven in more than 78 runs.

However, entering Tuesday night, the Orioles catcher, who stroked his 100th career homer on Monday night, is on pace for 25 home runs and 125 RBIs.

"I don't know if I'd say [that I'm] surprised," said Hernandez. "When you play a long time, you learn how the game is. I think I'm learning myself--what kind of hitter I am and what kind of pitches I can hit. It's a process, and the older you get, the more you get to know yourself."

Before Tuesday night, Hernandez was hitting .302, the third best on the team among regulars, with 10 home runs (tied for second on the team) and 49 RBIs, which tied shortstop Miguel Tejada for the team lead.

When the Orioles signed Hernandez to a four-year, $27.5 million deal, they did it mostly to solidify their defense up the middle. Hernandez, who hit ninth on Opening Day, was expected to be merely a complementary player on offense, but he's been much more.

"You've got to work to get him out," said Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo. "He'll hit to right field. You make a mistake inside, he'll pull you. When he's swinging the bat good, he's able to hit the ball all over the place."

Perlozzo reiterated Tuesday that Hernandez, who sits eighth in fan voting among American League catchers, deserves heavy consideration for the All-Star Game. Hernandez leads all AL catchers in RBIs and runners thrown out, is tied for first with Cleveland's Victor Martinez in home runs and is fourth in batting average.

Gibbons on first?

Perlozzo approached Jay Gibbons Tuesday and asked if he'd consider playing some first base in an effort to take some pressure off his right knee. However, Gibbons, who was in right field Tuesday night despite being visibly slowed by the injury that sent him to the disabled list for 15 games, said that he didn't think playing first over the outfield would make that much of a difference.

"Again, you are talking about a guy that is trying to get healthy," said Perlozzo. "Then, you are moving him around. I am not sure that's the right way to go."

Gibbons played 19 games at first base first last season, but hasn't done it yet this year.

Mora trying to get going
    Orioles third baseman Melvin Mora doesn't believe in overhauling his swing or changing his stance to combat hitting slumps. The only way to break out of it, Mora says, is to keep swinging and hope for the best.

Going into last night, the two-time All-Star was 11-for-53 (.208) with a .246 on-base percentage and a .226 slugging percentage and just one extra-base hit in 12 June games. For the season, he was hitting .287 with a 348 on-base percentage and a 429 slugging percentage.

"When Melvin gets in [these] situations, he just tries to do too much and hit the ball too hard," Perlozzo said. "I think he's jumping at the ball a little bit, being too aggressive instead of just trying to make solid contact."

Conine says health is fine
    Perlozzo said on Monday he was hoping to get Jeff Conine a few days off to rest foot and knee injuries, which the Orioles manager felt was affecting Conine's performance. However, Conine said Tuesday that his struggles at the plate--he was hitting .229--have nothing to do with his health.

"I don't know what the big deal is," said Conine. "Everybody is asking me about all these injuries. There is nothing to it. It's just a little tendinitis in my foot, and tendinitis in my knee, so I decided to get treated. It has absolutely no consequence on my on-field activities at all."

Conine could play the next two games with left- handers starting for Toronto.

Around the horn
    With Javy Lopez continuing his role as Rodrigo Lopez's personal catcher Wednesday night, Perlozzo said that he is leaning toward giving Hernandez the day off. Former Orioles pitcher Calvin Maduro has been named the pitching coach at short-season Single-A Aberdeen.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball

Hernandez has to be the MVP for the Orioles so far. He is the defensive presence we've lacked for so long behind the plate, and he has just been a clutch hitter so far. Whether its a single, double, homer, tying run, or go ahead run, Hernandez has had a hand in many of the Orioles victories. Without him, we are probably one of the worst teams in baseball. He's worth every penny of his contract.

It shouldn't be too hard for Mora to get going again. He got off of a 0-16 slump a week ago by getting a bunt base hit, and then reeled off a 5 game hitting streak. All Mora needs to do is something simple to get going again. Oh, and keep him at the same spot, #2 in the order. Move Mora around, and he'll slump. If he hits second, you've got a guy who thrives on consistancy, and will compete for the batting title.

AAA ERA
    Whats up with his 8 errors then? That was a bad play he made today might I add.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7...uthbertrc1.jpg
    Im not the Genius that traded for Brandon McCarthy. And my name is certainly not John Gibbons...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy31
    Whats up with his 8 errors then? That was a bad play he made today might I add.
    Who knows? All I care about is that he prevents runners from moving, and thats something we've missed behind the plate for quite some time. I can live with the errors, which we've had before. Although, some of those errors are his throws, as he is too aggressive at times.