Thread: Gibbons sent for an MRI

Gibbons sent for an MRI

Jay Gibbons was sent for an MRI on his right knee following the play last night which also left him with an injured trapezius muscle behind his right shoulder and a sore right hip.
    Gibbons didn't start tonight. He'll leave the Orioles on Sunday to attend his mother's funeral and isn't expected back until Tuesday. Since it could be unclear until then when he'll be ready to play, it might be best to bench him next week.

This means more Kevin Millar.

http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Rough week for Gibbons. I saw that play and it did not look good.

Update:
    An MRI taken Saturday on Jay Gibbons' right knee was negative, but his return to the lineup Tuesday against Tampa Bay is doubtful.
    Gibbons is also dealing with a sore right shoulder and right hip. "It's pretty much a matter of the pain tolerance for Gibby," manager Sam Perlozzo said. "We really won't know until he gets back (from his mother's funeral). He's supposed to check with the trainers on Monday." Mixed leaguers will want to play it safe and bench Gibbons this week.

Not that surprising. However, Gibbons is a pretty decent part for the team, even though they have some COF depth on the team. Of course, the worst part is that he is at his mother's funeral. Wow, that sucks.

Turns out he is the next Oriole to hit the DL

Orioles placed outfielder Jay Gibbons on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 27, with hip and knee injuries.
    Gibbons has so many aches and pains that it was tough for the Orioles to pick just two. Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo said before the game that Gibbons felt no pain while at the plate, but experienced difficulty running. Luis Matos and Jeff Conine will get addition at-bats until Gibbons returns.

It looks like the Orioles are putting Brandon Fahey in LF, Patterson in CF, and Markakis in RF for todays game against the Yankees. They did bring up INF Ed Rogers to take Gibbons place on the roster, presumably to take Fahey's place as the infield utility backup. My guess is that they are going to keep platooning Conine and Millar at first, let Fahey experiment in left, and keep Patterson and Markakis in CF and RF respectively.

I'm going to miss Gibbons. I was really hoping for a breakout year, and it looked just like it. He started out torrid, struggled when the rest of the team did for most of May, but had started to pick it up before his injury. Gibbons is 28, and has the security of a 4 year extension, and I feel he will pick up where he left off when he returns. It should be fast, considering he was retroactively placed on the DL.