Thread: I'll Plus Your One (What?) or Thread Ratings Explained

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'll Plus Your One (What?) or Thread Ratings Explained

I'll Plus Your One (What?) or Thread Ratings Explained

Over the last few days you might have been wondering what is the deal with all the plus and minus signs, random numbers, etc. You might be wondering why we are trying to strain your minds so much, but I can assure you that this is not a grade school math test. And while S3F is still planning our yearly forum member aptitude test, of which calculus will be a significant portion of, this is actually our new thread rating system (we'll talk about the test at another time.) So what is different and why is this better? Simply put, this is simple. Either you like a thread like catching a homerun ball at the World Series or you hate it like the smell of the ballpark men's room with a World Series crowd. So the 5 star system is gone obviously. One of the other big perks is that this experience is user defined and what I mean by that is that we have a top rated threads page in which you, the forum members, will be able to determine the great threads to in a way archive for easy future viewing. But that is a feature that only works with mass voting. Also, you can see who votes up on your threads so you can possibly send them a little thank you note via PM and alternatively you can see who votes down on your threads so you can place a terrible curse upon them and their children's internet life (c'mon, you don't want to take it much farther than that or Johnny Law will start to come knocking on your door.) There are other features with this system that will be mentioned below and yet still more we could implement in the future.

Alright, to get this started go to your favorite forum (no, not the one you have bookmarked under "Sexy Time", the baseball one) on S3F and find a topic that you think might interest you. Who doesn't like the Youk (other than Yankees fans)? So let's check out that thread.
    (As you can see from the example graphic, the voting system is also on the forum display.)

Alright, this is a pretty great thread here. It seems like Captain Sparrow agrees with me, which I suppose is pretty good as I've lost complete touch with reality and he is my most trusted advisor.

So now is the time to vote, you can find the voting icons to the right hand corner of the thread title up top. A plus vote is for when you dig it and a minus vote is for when you don't. We're voting this up, even if it isn't quite as sweet as a Koufax curve.
    (A little sidenote, you can't vote on your own threads.)

You can always reverse your vote at a later time, or if you accidentally voted the wrong way, you can change it. You can't remove your vote completely though once it's in, it has to either be a +1 or a -1, you can't go back to having no vote.

Assuming there was more than just myself who enjoyed that thread, I would maybe want to see who else voted to see if I am sitting at the cool kid's table or not. To do that, click on the number counter and voila, there you go. As you can see, I am alone in my adoration of the Greek God of Walks.

So what if you want to go back to see popular old threads? You can of course or I would of never posed that question to begin with. Follow this link or click the image below. The threads are not categorized in when they received the votes but when they were last posted on, so some threads that received their votes long ago can work their ways back up. I will try to figure out how to improve this.

http://www.strike3forums.com/forums/topratings.php

---
    Thanks for taking the time to read this FAQ, we hope you found it useful.
    The Strike3forums.com team.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: I'll Plus Your One (What?) or Thread Ratings Explained

Thanks to Redsr for pointing out this glitch: If you are using IE, voting still functions but you can not look to see who voted on a thread, you can do it from forum display, but there is a conflict with something else on IE that is preventing that from showing. Firefox works with the system fully.