Thread: Atlanta Braves summary: While we were gone

Braves Atlanta Braves summary: While we were gone

Braves agreed to terms with second baseman Marcus Giles on a one-year, $3.85 million contract.
    It's a $1.5 million raise for Giles, who is expected to replace Rafael Furcal as the Braves' leadoff hitter this season. It's not a switch that will help his fantasy value, though he wasn't driving in a lot of runs as a No. 2 hitter anyway.

• Great move!
    Braves agreed to terms with RHP Oscar Villarreal on a one-year, $462,500 contract.
    That might be less than any other arbitration-eligible player has to settle for. Villarreal, who has missed most of the last two years with arm problems, will likely have a spot in Atlanta's bullpen if healthy.

• Depth is always nice.
    Braves agreed to terms with LHP Horacio Ramirez on a one-year, $2.2 million contract.
    Ramirez, who went 11-9 with a 4.63 ERA last season, was eligible for arbitration for the first time. He'll be back in Atlanta's rotation this season, but the Braves may not be as patient with him, not if Kyle Davies and Chuck James impress

• WhoreAm is back. Unlike everyone else, I actually like HoRam.
    Braves agreed to terms with RHP Jorge Sosa on a one-year, $2.2 million contract.
    He earn an additional $50,000 if he pitches 205 innings. Sosa will open the year as the Braves' third or fourth starter. He's not as good of a bet with Leo Mazzone gone, but he should have a fair amount of value in NL-only leagues.

• I'd love to see him as our 3rd starter. Good move to keep him around, and for not much.
    Braves agreed to terms with LHP Mike Remlinger on a minor league contract.
    Leo Mazzone, who probably was greatly responsible for turning Remlinger's career around back in 1999, is no longer around, so it looks like something of a long shot that the Braves will get anything out of the soon-to-be 40-year-old. At best, maybe he'll be an adequate middle reliever.
    • .......I don't care. Anyone does?
    Tim Hudson confirmed Wednesday that he won't take part in the World Baseball Classic next month.
    "I'm not 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule, like I should be if I was going to [the WBC]," Hudson said. "Obviously I've dealt with some [injuries] the last couple of years, and my No. 1 concern is to not deal with that again. Nobody would have felt worse than me if I'd gone out and gotten hurt in the WBC and not been ready for the season."

Braves signed RHP Carlos Almanzar to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Almanzar had a 3.72 ERA in 72 2/3 innings for the Rangers in 2004, but he collapsed at the start of last season and underwent Tommy John surgery in May. He probably won't be ready to help the Braves at the start of the year, but he could be of some use in middle relief later on

The Braves have reportedly voided the minor league contract of Jeff Bennett after finding a pre-existing elbow problem during his physical.
    Bennett missed much of last season after failing to make the Brewers out of spring training. No word yet on whether surgery is a possibility.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Well, I for one am looking forward to the season getting underway. I will miss Leo, but I have faith that McDowell will do a great job as the Braves new pitching coach.

AAA ERA
    Does he wear number 21?
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HafDawg2003
    Does he wear number 21?
    Im not sure... the Coaching page doesn't have his assigned, but 21 isn't assigned to anyone on the 40 man roster nor to any coaches.

McDowell used to be a crazy beast out there...says he's calmed down though.

MLB ERA
    lol, Ya... old "Black Jack" McDowell .. From what I've read, it sounds like he is doing a great job so far. Guess the proof will come soon enough.

Can't wait.

MLB ERA
    Like what I'm hearing from McDowell. Sounds like there's a more free environment around than with Leo, even though I love Leo to death. Maybe that's what is needed? Who knows. I like these moves.

Keeping Giles & Sosa for another year = Great news.

We better sign Giles to a LTC. He is the one person I'd hate to lose most.

MLB ERA
    Well.. Unless Athur Blank, Bill Gates, or Tom from MySpace buys the team. I don't think he'll remain a Brave too much longer.

Hope I'm proven wrong, he's been a great ball player.