Thread: Braves acquire Matt Diaz

Braves Braves acquire Matt Diaz

Braves acquired outfielder Matt Diaz from the Royals for RHP Ricardo Rodriguez.
    If the Braves can turn Diaz into a passable first baseman, he'd be a fine replacement for Julio Franco as Adam LaRoche's platoon partner. If not, he'd still be a good fit as a fifth outfielder, especially since it's a pair of left-handers, Ryan Langerhans and Kelly Johnson, who will battle for time in left field. Rodriguez, 24, is a converted infielder. He posted a 5.34 ERA as a reliever for Single-A Myrtle Beach last season, but he has a pretty good arm.

Well, he can mash lefties...but his OPS against righties is twice as low as against lefties. He's still young, so he might turn out to be a decent platoon guy with Laroche.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Nooooooo we got rid of Ricardo

MLB ERA
    On MLB.com he doesn't say anything of the possibility that he might play 1B. It said the Braves are hoping to sign Jeff Conine.
    As of Monday night, the Braves were still hoping to sign free agent Jeff Conine, who would give them a right-handed veteran who could play both first base and the outfield. But it appears Conine is close to signing with the Orioles.
    Does he have any experience at 1B?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Yeah, AJC said that Diaz is going to challenge at LF.

Diaz played 1B in the minors, if I am not mistaken.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic