Thread: Braves enter Wagner sweepstakes...General chokes on chicken bone

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Braves enter Wagner sweepstakes...General chokes on chicken bone

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-314320c.html

The Mets long have come in on the wrong side of their rivalry with the Braves, and now Atlanta might be making a serious run at one of the Mets' top free agent targets - closer Billy Wagner.
    Two baseball executives said yesterday that Braves GM John Schuerholz was planning to meet with Wagner's agent, Bean Stringfellow, this week. Wagner had acknowledged interest by the Braves and Red Sox when he met with New York-area reporters following a visit here last week, but noted they "have other things on their plate right now."

However, a scheduled meeting is a sign that the Braves' pursuit could heat up.

As one baseball executive said yesterday, "Schuerholz seems to do something every year."

Wagner lives in Virginia, so the Braves could offer the kind of Southern lifestyle he's more accustomed to, though Wagner also has said he's enjoyed the energy of Philadelphia the past two seasons.

The general consensus in baseball had been that the Braves were less likely to be able to afford Wagner than the Mets or the Phillies. But Chipper Jones recently restructured his contract, dropping his salary from $17 million to $11 million next season, which frees up some money for the Braves to pursue Wagner and re-sign shortstop Rafael Furcal.

"That's always appealing," Wagner said of the prospect of joining the Braves. "They're winners."

If we sign Wagner, I'll eat my dog.

But we won't. He signed with the Mets. I'll be fine with Farnsworth or Hoffman though!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic