http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sp.../13azfall.html

The only sun-splashed Arizona Fall League regulars who outnumber the major league scouts at times are the autograph seekers. They're also looking for the players with the brightest futures.

One of the prime targets is Jarrod Saltalamacchia. That presents a little bit of a challenge, though. He is not only one of the top catching prospects in baseball, but the professional player with the longest last name.

"I just sign 'S-a-l-t scribble, scribble, scribble,'" the Braves' Saltalamacchia said, breaking into a grin. "I don't now if anyone can really read it or not."

It doesn't seem to matter if only a few of the 14 letters in his Italian last name are legible. On a baseball card, that scribble may be very valuable some day. "He's a player you have to get," Joe Biggs, a memorabilia dealer from Livonia, Mich., said. "He's real nice, too."

Ronnie Turner, a retiree living in Sun City, agrees. "He'll just sign 'Salty' if you ask him," Turner said. That certainly cuts down time, which is really what the Arizona Fall League is all about anyway.

Begun in 1992, the six-team league's goal is to accelerate top prospects' rise to the major leagues during a five-week crash course. Want to see baseball's future stars? Arizona in October and early November is the place to find them.

Of the 60 players selected for the Major League All-Star Game last July in Detroit, 23 were Arizona Fall League alums and the AFL Hall of Fame includes Albert Pujols, Derek Jeter, Nomar Garciaparra and Mike Piazza. About 50 percent of major leaguers last season had played here and the league has produced at least one rookie of the year in 12 of the past 13 seasons.

Philadelphia's Ryan Howard, Houston's Willy Taveras and the Braves' Jeff Francoeur — the top three finishers for National League rookie of the year — all played here last year. So did the American League winner, Oakland reliever Huston Street.

"This is the best of the best," said Saltalamacchia, one of the youngest players in the Arizona Fall League at 20. "It's the next step to the big leagues."

More than 70 percent of AFL graduates have made the majors. "You know that almost all of the players will make it," Saltalamacchia said. "Nobody wants to be one of the those who doesn't."

With the switch-hitting Saltalamacchia, however, it really isn't a question of if, just when. Francoeur, Brian McCann and Macay McBride played in the Arizona Fall League last year. By midseason, all were with the Braves.

"There never has been any doubt about Salty's bat," Braves assistant general manager Dayton Moore said. "He just needed to work on his defense and he's come a long way in a short time."

"He's worked real hard and it's paid off," Braves minor league field coordinator Chino Cadahia said.

Taken with the 36th overall pick in the 2003 draft, it is still at the plate where the 6-foot-4 Saltalamacchia really stands out, however. He batted .314 with 35 doubles, 18 homers and 81 RBIs for Myrtle Beach of the high Class A Carolina League last season despite playing in one of the minors' toughest parks to hit.

That earned the West Palm Beach native a spot on Baseball America's overall minor league all-star team. Baseball American rates Saltalamacchia as the Braves' second best prospect, just behind third baseman Andy Marte, who is playing in the Dominican Winter League.

Once short of catchers, the Braves organization is now loaded with them. "I'm sure the Braves have a plan, I just don't know what it is," Saltalamacchia said. "All I can do is keep working so I'll be ready when my time comes."

Saltalamacchia hopes that doesn't mean a trade away from the Braves or a position switch to first base. "But what's important is to make the big leagues any way I can," he said.

Meanwhile, the professional baseball player will also work on his autograph speed and penmanship.

"My last name is long enough," said Braves infield prospect Jonathan Schuerholz, the son of the team's general manager. "I don't know how Salty can sign like he does."