Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazzone to Yankees?

Braves Mazzone to Yankees?

I see the Yes Network is reporting that the Braves have granted permission to the Yankees to begin negotiating with Leo Mazzone about becoming their pitching coach.

http://www.yesnetwork.com/ap.asp?ap_...647&is_local=1

What's going on? Why is Mazzone all of a sudden interested in speaking to them and why would the Braves grant them permission to talk about a lateral move? Mazzone has never shown any inclination to want to move from Atl and God knows things have worked out well there, so what's changed?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Yankees would probably need to double or triple Mazzone's salary since cost of living is so much higher in New York; also with all the extra things you have to deal with (i.e. Steinbrenner breathing down your neck.)

Mazzone is the highest paid pitching coach already. I doubt money is an issue. Since he is under contract for next year, if he does go to the Yankees, I will lose all respect for George Steinbrenner.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AAA ERA
    Why would you lose respect for Steinbreener if mazzone goes to the Yanks?

Because Steinbrenner would be buying out a coach under contract.

MLB ERA

More quotes

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...19mazzone.html

The New York Yankees are negotiating with Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone and could be close to getting him to trade in his tomahawk for pinstripes.

Hours after Yankees manager Joe Torre gave Mazzone a ringing endorsement Tuesday, Mazzone's attorney confirmed talks with the Yankees began several days ago and had progressed.

"We have been talking to the Yankees, that's correct," said attorney Jack Reale, who said he's negotiated with the Yankees and also had discussions with the Baltimore Orioles about their interest in Mazzone.

Mazzone, 57, didn't return messages left on his voicemail. He has been with the Braves organization since 1979 and been their major league pitching coach since 1990, coaching six Cy Young Award winners and nine 20-game winners in that span.

"Leo has great affection for the Braves organization and Bobby Cox but has reached a state in his career where, for his benefit and his family's benefit, he has to consider all his options," Reale said. "That's what he's in the process of doing right now. We're proceeding in a formalized manner."

One day after news spread that the Yankees received permission from the Braves to speak to Mazzone, Torre said he had recommended him as his next pitching coach.

"Leo is very good at what he does," Torre told reporters at a news conference Tuesday at Yankee Stadium, his first public comments since the Yankees were eliminated by the Los Angeles Angels in the first round of the playoffs. Torre also announced he will return as manager of the team next year.

"I was managing the Braves when Leo was in the minor league system over there. So he wouldn't be a stranger to me. . . . I'm going to be consulted. I hope that what I have to say goes a long way."

Mazzone's contract expires in mid-November.

"All we're saying right now is 'no comment,' " Braves manager Bobby Cox said from Florida, where he's been in meetings with top Braves officials and scouts to begin planning the construction of next year's team.

"He's been invited back here. There's a verbal agreement."

That agreement, however, between Mazzone and general manager John Schuerholz only addresses what Mazzone would be paid if he's back with the Braves in 2006.

Like other Braves coaches, Mazzone works under one-year contracts. The team won't do multi-year deals with coaches.

The Orioles are interested in Mazzone, a friend of Baltimore manager Sam Perlozzo for many years. But that interest was initially complicated by the condition of highly regarded current Orioles pitching coach Ray Miller, who was still hospitalized after surgery for an aortic aneurysm.

Reale said the Orioles' situation had become clearer by Tuesday, though he declined to elaborate. "We have spoken to Baltimore," he said. "They're definitely in the picture."

Mel Stottlemyre, who quit last week after 10 seasons on the Yankees coaching staff, was the top-paid pitching coach in the majors at more than $400,000 annually — about $200,000 more than Mazzone was paid by the Braves.

Cox and Schuerholz are signed through 2006, and management uncertainty beyond that may have contributed to Mazzone's consideration of other offers.

Torre, who has two years left on his contract, considered stepping down after a season in which his staff came under frequent criticism by management. But after several days of positive meetings with team officials, he decided to stay.

The pitching coach job was discussed in those meetings.

"They asked me about what are my thoughts," Torre said. "I said I had no problem [with Mazzone]. I know him. A good guy. Obviously he's very good at what he does because of his track record in Atlanta."

Reds

Quote Originally Posted by General
    Mazzone is the highest paid pitching coach already.
    Where'd you get that from? Other sources such as the post above this one suggest otherwise.

I got that from BravesCenter..I guess they were wrong.

Doesnt take away from the fact that he's under contract.

Reds

Quote Originally Posted by General
    I got that from BravesCenter..I guess they were wrong.

Doesnt take away from the fact that he's under contract.
    Well OK, he's under contract 'till mid-November. In my mind he's fulfilled his obligations with the Braves and he's basically a free agent at this point. So wherever he works next year, it will be under a new contract.

What's your point that he's still under contract?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    the sabermetrics dude on the Hot List said mazzone will probably just get a feel for what he'd get paid... and then the braves would wise up and pay him that plus 10%
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    What do the Reds have to do with this topic? I could understand using a Braves or Yankees logo, but a Reds logo?

He's a Reds fan, so be it.

MLB ERA

A's

oh, ok! I'm gonna use an A's logo all the time now

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    What do the Reds have to do with this topic? I could understand using a Braves or Yankees logo, but a Reds logo?
    The Reds must be included in every discussion on this board, didn't you know?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2194428

Atlanta Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone will not be joining Joe Torre's staff next season, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney confirmed Wednesday.

Newsday, citing a person familiar with Mazzone's thinking, reported Wednesday on its Web site that the pitching coach decided to end negotiations with the New York Yankees Wednesday morning. Mazzone is still a candidate to join the Baltimore Orioles, or he could still return to Atlanta.

Baltimore is still in the picture.

MLB ERA
    Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds Reds

Oh, sorry...I lost track of what was being discussed here. I can't picture Leo going anywhere, but I'm happy he's not going to the Yanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast