Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notes: McBride sent down, for now

Rookie ERA

Notes: McBride sent down, for now

ATLANTA -- All indications are that Macay McBride will be back in the Majors this season. But when it came time to make room for Mike Hampton on the 25-man roster before Sunday's game, it was McBride who was told he was going back to the Minors.

With Hampton coming off the disabled list, manager Bobby Cox had limited choices. Having moved Horacio Ramirez to the bullpen earlier this week, the veteran skipper still has two left-handed relievers.

"Somebody had to go," Cox said. "He's done well. He really does have a great future."

McBride, who earned his first Major League promotion on July 22, made nine appearances for Atlanta and eight of them were scoreless. His 6.00 ERA was a result of the four runs he allowed while recording just two outs against the Cardinals on Aug. 5. During that same game, which he entered with the Braves already trailing 6-1, he surrendered four of the seven hits opponents tallied against him in six innings.

"Any time you get to the big leagues your happy," McBride said. "I'm glad I came up here and did well."

When McBride, the Braves top selection in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, began the 2004 season 0-7 with a 5.55 ERA, there were some doubts. But once he was moved to Double-A Greenville's bullpen, things began changing for him. During his 43 1/3 innings as a reliever, he posted a 2.91 ERA.

McBride began this season at Double-A Mississippi and was promoted to Triple-A Richmond on May 11. All along, he was thinking he'd make it to the Majors this year, likely when the rosters expanded in September. But his call came a little earlier than expected, and he proved he was ready from the start.

During his July 22 Major League debut, he ended a scoreless inning by striking out Arizona All-Star outfielder Luis Gonzalez. One week later, against the Pirates at Turner Field, he entered in the ninth inning with one out and runners on second and third. A strikeout and groundout later, he'd preserved a one-run victory for the Braves and gained his first Major League save.

"You realize this game is no different than anywhere else," McBride said of the atmosphere in the Majors. "I'll go down for a few weeks and hopefully be back up here in September."

Farnsworth back: Having served his five-game suspension, Kyle Farnsworth was available for Sunday afternoon's series finale against the Diamondbacks. But, while Farnsworth says his ailing back is better, Cox was planning on waiting until at least Tuesday to utilize the right-handed reliever.

While not being a man of many words, Farnsworth did say on Sunday that he's been throwing in the past few days and has not experienced any problems with his back.

Farnsworth, whose suspension was levied for his actions during a July 17 incident between the Royals and his former Tigers, injured his back while shagging fly balls. After allowing a two-out solo homer to Albert Pujols on Aug 7, he gingerly walked to the dugout in apparent pain.

Braves bits: Brian Jordan was scheduled to play in the outfield for Class A Rome on Sunday afternoon. During his first two Minor League rehab appearances, the veteran outfielder, who is on the DL because of a sore left knee, was used as a designated hitter. ... Entering Sunday, the Braves were 52-21 in games in which they scored at least four runs.

Coming up: Righty John Smoltz (12-6, 2.90 ERA) will oppose Derek Lowe (8-7, 3.97 ERA) in the opener of a three-game series against the Dodgers on Tuesday night at Turner Field.

Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

----------------------------
    In my opinion this was dumb. THey should have sent down Dan Kolb... Well him down to hades but McBride was doing great.

I like McBride..we can't send down Kolb though. I think we should have sent Foster down. Oh well.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    I like McBride..we can't send down Kolb though. I think we should have sent Foster down. Oh well.
    Him too. But yea McBride was throwing hard. And Foster was throwing balls and Home Runs.

Foster ****ing sucks almost as much as Bernero.

Rookie ERA
    Foster ****ing sucks almost as much as Bernero.
    Bernero is the worst pitcher in baseball.

No, that's Hideo Nomo.

Rookie ERA
    Na... Bernero or Kolb.

Kolb has been decent, but he's not worth anywhere near the money he's getting paid.

Rookie ERA
    He isn't worth a milk carton

He's been a good mop-up guy. :P

Rookie ERA
    I guess he would do good for the Royals

MLB ERA
    **** Kolb

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    **** Kolb
    I wouldn't say that. Hey I wonder if we can get a couple million dollars if we sell him to the glue factory?

You mean the Yankees?

Rookie ERA
    You mean the Yankees?
    Exactly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast