Thread: Chipper done after '12

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves Chipper done after '12

Chipper Jones of Atlanta Braves to retire at end of season - ESPN

Looks like this season will be Chipper's swan song. Maybe this will help force management to get a SS so they could try and win one more for the Chipper. Jones is a no doubt HOFer for me and I hope he can stay somewhat healthy this year so he can have fun with it.

Rookie ERA

Re: Chipper done after '12

I hope that this will put a stop to the endless speculation and he can enjoy a farewell tour for the year. Definitely a HOFer.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think he gets in to the Hall of Fame, but it shouldn't be as quick as everyone seems to think. Even though he has the best OPS of all time at 3B, he only had 2 silver sluggers. Mind you I haven't really checked on who won over him most of those years, but it just tells me that most of his career he wasn't even at the best at his position in his league.

That scares me. A two-time AL MVP can't even sniff a vote, yet Chipper is in, first ballot, no question? I doubt that.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm not one to give a shit whether it's first ballot or not. I think the term "first ballot" is a disgrace myself. Someone is either a HOFer or not. Having the best OPS of all-time at 3B says quite a bit plus he is one of the best switch hitters the game has ever seen. He's been nothing but class and was a major factor in a record setting divisional winning run. Jones also has a MVP on his already impressive resume.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Batting title, as well.

He deserves some kudos as well, as a lot of the recent #1 overall picks have really flamed out, so he's got that going for him as well.