Thread: Possible Good News

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves Possible Good News

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that two Japanese clubs are willing to acquire Kenshin Kawakami and cover more than half of his remaining $6.67 million salary.
    Rosenthal speculates that the Yankees could be a match for Kawakami as they search for help in their starting rotation, but the Braves have been talking trade with Japanese clubs for months now. The Braves would not get a player in return if they trade him to a Japanese club, but they would probably be pretty satisfied with a little salary relief. As of now, Kawakami is off the 40-man roster and is likely to begin the season at Triple-A Gwinnett.
    This was an awful deal to begin with but this could be just what the Braves have been asking for. I find it sort of wrong that the Braves can't get a player out of deal but that's just one of the many problems with the MLB/Japanese operations. Salary relief will have to do.

Other possible good news is Billy Wagner hasn't filed retirement papers.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Possible Good News

The Braves can't get another player in exchange because the deal is technically the sale of Kawakami's contract to a Japanese club.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Possible Good News

I understand that but the Japanese aren't going to be taking on his entire salary. I think they either should take it all on or at least be able to get something else back in return. MLB teams have to pay for the rights to sign a Japanese player on top of the the player's salary but yet the Japanese can get a players for taking on just over half the salary? That seems a little unfair.