Thread: Braves acquire 2B Uggla from Marlins

Trade Braves acquire 2B Uggla from Marlins

Braves acquired 2B Dan Uggla from the Marlins for INF Omar Infante and LHP Mike Dunn.
    Uggla is reunited with his former manager Fredi Gonzalez. It isn't yet clear where everyone will play, but Martin Prado will likely play left field if or when Chipper Jones is ready to return from knee surgery. Either way, it's a pretty nice problem to have. Despite being a liability on defense, Uggla packs more punch than any second baseman in the game. They'll likely try to pick up where the Marlins left off as far as a contract extension is concerned.

Yeah! Makin' moves. Glad we got rid of Infante with his stock at an all-time high. Hope we get Uggla signed to a LTC.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

Re: Barves acquire 2B Uggla from Marlins

Great move for the Braves.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

WoW! Did the Marlins get raped or what? I realize that Uggla could possibly be a one year rental but to trade inside the division and get a utility player and lefty reliever is pretty terrible. I'm sure the Jays could have offered more. Regardless, this is a good pickup for the Braves. Heyward, McCann, Uggla and Chipper makes a formidable middle of the lineup. This also frees up money for the Marlins to go get John Buck.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I saw somewhere that the Jays were willing to give up 4 players. FOUR.
    See ya in hell Loria.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    WoW! Did the Marlins get raped or what? I realize that Uggla could possibly be a one year rental but to trade inside the division and get a utility player and lefty reliever is pretty terrible. I'm sure the Jays could have offered more. Regardless, this is a good pickup for the Braves. Heyward, McCann, Uggla and Chipper makes a formidable middle of the lineup. This also frees up money for the Marlins to go get John Buck.
    It shows part of the problem with baseball. Marlins arent willing/able to spend so they give away an all star caliber player for a utility spare part and a low ceiling LHRP.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Marlins offered 4 years/$48 million. Its not like the Marlins didn't give him a reasonable offer. The Marlins now have money to get Buck and sign Nolasco to a long term deal. I really don't see a problem.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    I saw somewhere that the Jays were willing to give up 4 players. FOUR.
    See ya in hell Loria.
    I read that Arencibia the catcher was one of them, too. But the Marlins want to compete so they signed the veteran Buck and traded Uggla for pennies on the dollar...to the division rival Braves.

Ohh nevermind.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Arencibia was not one of those players. It was Josh Roenicke, Danny Farquhar, and either Ryan Goins or Darin Mastroianni. Anrecibia will be sharing time with Molina.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I hate defending the Marlins and despise their front office/ownership, but this time, at least they offered him a 4 year, 48 million deal that Uggla rejected immediately. It was pretty clear that the guy wanted nothing to do with the team, if that had anything to do with however they treated his best friend Cody Ross or something else, who knows. They didn't get equal value back, but Infante at least did make the all-star game and can play anywhere on the infield and hit .340+ most of the year. Mike Dunn, promising arm for the bullpen, which they need. That being said, **** the Marlins.

MLB ERA

Re: Braves acquire 2B Uggla from Marlins

The Marlins did pick up John Buck to catch for them -- Marlins Ink John Buck | FanGraphs Baseball
    He could be a big help for them, both behind the plate and at bat.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Mike Dunn isn't exactly "promising." Also, lol, you dealt Uggla and sign Buck? NICE!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They wanted a guy with a far worse K:BB ratio, General.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Infante will only hit over .300 if DirtyKash ridicules him before the start of the season. So, mark it on your calendar DK, unless you want him to go back to sucking.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Buck is cheaper and will be a Marlin longer. Plus it fills a need and gives them payroll flexibility to fill other needs.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Braves are closing in on a five-year extension worth $60-61MM with Dan Uggla, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (on Twitter). Braves GM Frank Wren and agent Terry Bross were planning to discuss an extension earlier in the month. Uggla rejected a four-year, $48MM deal from the Marlins before the Braves acquired him in a November trade.

Uggla, 30, earned $7.8MM last year and would likely have earned over $10MM if he had gone to arbitration this winter. A five-year deal would buy out Uggla's last remaining season of arbitration plus four free agent years. The reported deal appears to value Uggla's four free agent seasons at $12.5MM each.
    I just wonder where Uggla is going to play during those four free agent seasons because I can't see the Braves keeping him at second. He's not going to miraculously get better at second after 30. I like the deal because his power shouldn't fade that much and $12 million is what the Marlins were offering. I can see him taking over third once Chipper does finally retire or plays out his contract.