Thread: Braves Release Saito, Cabrera

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves Braves Release Saito, Cabrera

Braves released RHP Takashi Saito.
    Saito, 41 in Feburary, posted an impressive 2.83 ERA and 69/17 K/BB ratio over 54 innings with the Braves this past season, but he was bothered by shoulder problems and the Braves have a slew of quality young relievers on the way. The veteran righty should generate interest around the league.

Braves released OF Melky Cabrera.
    Cabrera posted a poor .255/.317/.354 batting line and only four home runs in 458 at-bats this season and was due a raise from the $3.1 million that he collected via salary arbitration. He'll get a shot elsewhere, but the 26-year-old may never live up to the hype he generated in New York.
    Where are all those Yankee fans that were arguing with me that Cabrera was good and more than a 4th OFer?? He will find a job somewhere but not as a starter.

Saito will find a lot of offers but probably not as high as he would like. Good to see the Braves starting to clean house.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Braves Release Saito, Cabrera

LA's next starting left fielder and closer (again)

Melky is not exactly starting-caliber, so over 3 mil for somebody with a .317 OBP, so I approve of this. Saito I would have kept for another year, but Mr. Wren knows more than I.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

I'm pretty certain that the Braves contract with Saito stipulated he had to be released after the season, because while he's short of the number of years for free agency, he wanted to be able to test the market.