View Poll Results: Should Jason Heyward be the Braves starting RF?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 50.00%
  • No

4 50.00%

Thread: Should Heyward Start in RF?

MLB ERA

Braves Should Heyward Start in RF?

Pretty simple, should Jason Heyward be the Braves opening day starter in right field?

I'm kind of torn on the issue. He's had very few at-bats in AAA, and only spent part of a season in AA, so it's very possible that putting him in the majors now would have negative effects. It's also difficult to project what sort of player he would be this season. There's a lot of upside there, but at the same time there isn't any guarantee that he would be better than Matt Diaz, as Diaz is a very quality player that is projected as a .290/.355/.450 guy. So does Heyward's upside justify a potential rush to the majors?

MLB ERA

Re: Should Heyward Start in RF?

It's a tough call, but I voted no.

I'd rather be on the too cautious side than do anything that may backfire on the Braves. Let's let him play more games in AAA, similar to Tommy Hanson in 2009, and call him up after the season starts.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree with ATLien. Too soon, even for the kind of talent he is. He has bounced from A ball in 2008 and looks to be nearly MLB ready, but with only a handful of AAA at-bats, I would think it to be best to at least give him three months of AB's in AAA before even considering a callup. Even with his talent, that is a huge talent jump to make in short of a time period, no matter what you're potential is.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Not yet, they can live with.. for at least 3-4 months, a platoon of Diaz and insert guy A here. Schafer or Elky Cabrera. Doesn't matter, really. Diaz can mash lefties though, he dines on them and even has enough room for desserts. So just find someone who can post a better OPS against righties for short term.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

I don't know how he doesn't, now. By all accounts, he is working his ass off in ST. He might be the best available option at OF after not signing Damon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

True, but just because he looks ready right now, doesn't mean he will look ready in a few months, after pitchers have adjusted to him but he may have not adjusted to those new changes.

MLB ERA

I hear you. There is also this: if the Braves call Heyward at the end of May, he would not be eligible for arbitration until after the 2013 season..instead of 2012 if he's on the opening day roster.

MLB ERA

I'm at Disney and word around here is that they are working on signing him to a Longoria type deal so arbitration might not be an issue...

I'm going to see him play (hopefully) tomorrow vs the Mets
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Didn't Longoria actually have a few months though before that deal? I am fuzzy on that though so I am not for sure when that took place.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah I think you are right mission. Longoria was with the big club for a few months before he landed the deal. Yet, they waited on his super 2 status as well.

I see the same thing happening with Heyward. As mentioned before, there is a valid reason to let him learn at the AAA level for a while. It fits financially and according to general prospect plans. Unless Heyward gives them no choice and shows he is the best player on the entire team this spring, I see him in AAA at least until May.

MLB ERA

Well it seems the Braves made the choice to have Heyward start the '10 season in RF.
    MLB.com
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Yeah, I don't think there was any doubt at this point that he would be our starting RF. He's been very good this spring, impressed just about everyone who's anyone, and is hopefully ready to begin what could be a career that has little to no limit. I'm quite excited.

Birthday present for me.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic