Thread: Retiring Bobby Cox gives his last ST speech

MLB ERA

Braves Retiring Bobby Cox gives his last ST speech

Retiring Bobby Cox gives his last spring training speech to the Braves - ESPN

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Chipper Jones has heard Bobby Cox's spring training speech so often, Jones thinks he could fill in for the Atlanta Braves' manager.

"I could probably recite it verbatim without him even coming out here," said Jones, who is starting his 17th big league camp.

But Jones and his teammates had to pay attention on Tuesday.

Cox changed the script for his final spring training speech. He is retiring after the season, and this year he wanted to talk about more than rules.

He wanted to say more than, "Go get 'em, boys!"

Players, clubhouse attendants and front office personnel all listened as Cox battled nerves and emotions as he said thanks.

"This one was different," said bullpen coach Eddie Perez, a former Braves catcher. "It was tough, a different feeling. ... I was sitting right next to him. I was looking at him and looking at everybody, and everybody was paying attention."

MLB ERA

Re: Retiring Bobby Cox gives his last ST speech

It's incredibly sad that Bobby is going to be retiring after this season. He has been the manager my entire life, so thinking of a Braves dugout without him in it is a rather peculiar thought. It's rare that fans get to experience something like this, someone like this.. and I, for one, have been spoiled by Bobby Cox and the Braves organization.

That being said, I'm not sure that he's the manager he once was. Although he hasn't necessarily had the pieces he did throughout the 90's, I feel like his teams have underperformed recently. There are certain flaws in his management, such as his bullpen use at times, but there is no one quite like Bobby when it comes to standing up for and supporting his players. He is such a class act, as were most of his greatest players in Atlanta. He is one of the reasons I have taken such pride in being a Braves fan.

So from me to you, Bobby Cox, thank you for everything that you have done as our manager. I'll carry the memories of your cheering for your players, getting tossed for their sake, your interviews, and your simple life throughout the rest of mine.. You are the man, Bobby. I'm gonna miss you. It's the end of a great era of baseball. Let's hope you can go out in style.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Whoever steps into his shoes after his departure will have a lot of eyes on them... not to mention a big shadow hanging over them. It would be a great story if the Braves, with some of their exciting young talent, make one last run with Bobby.

MLB ERA

Have there been any candidates mentioned for after he leaves internally or is it something they won't deal til after the season?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs