Thread: Heyward, your starting RF?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Braves Heyward, your starting RF?

Jim Bowden tweets:
    I just spoke to Braves GM Frank Wren who made it clear to me that Jason Heyward will be given a chance in ST to become their every day RF
    That is awesome! I can't wait to see this kid in a Braves uni. He is a future mega star. Hopefully everything goes right with him and he is everything y'all expect him to be.

MLB ERA

Re: Heyward, your starting RF?

This seems like franceour all over again, hive the guy 1 more year to develop
    Posted via Mobile Device

MLB ERA

The difference is that Heyward is a much better player and athlete than Francoeur was. This is old news though, Bobby Cox said this as early as October or November. I'm not sold that he'll win the job, but at the same time the Braves don't have anyone that should be real competition to him.

By the way CJ, Francoeur being rushed wasn't the problem at all. He played very, very well his first two years in the majors. It was afterwards that he fell apart, namely because of huge expectations and his inability to have any sort of plate discipline.

MLB ERA

Well, I can see them putting Heyward in RF by Opening Day but they might be hesitant to do so. IMO, I see Heyward as the RF come Opening Day.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Heyward's power is still developing, but he can certainly mash, and take walks. Francoeur's problem was always plate discipline.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

I'm sure the Braves were hoping his plate discipline would get better. All Braves fans were hoping but it just never happened. From what I've been hearing about Heyward he is a much better fit but without seeing him play I can't really say.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

I'm just kind of musing right now.. But imagine if Heyward makes the club out of the gate and produces, hitting 20-25 home runs. And if Glaus can stay healthy and also contribute 25 home runs... the Braves might actually have a lineup.