Thread: Glaus signs with Braves

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Braves Glaus signs with Braves

Per rotoworld:

According to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Braves studied Troy Glaus' medical records closely before offering him a deal.

As they should have. Glaus underwent shoulder surgery back in January of 2009 and was expected to be fully healthy by mid-May. He had multiple setbacks in his recovery and eventually developed a back issue which strung his rehab out for months. He didn't don a St. Louis uniform until late September and the 33-year-old played in only 14 total games this year.
    I guess the Braves feel he can play healthy again. If so, this could be a pretty big deal. When Glaus is healthy, there is no doubt that Glaus is a big presence both at the plate and on the field.
    Only time will tell if this ends up being beneficial for this team going forward.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Glaus signs with Braves

I just read the deal calls for a 2 million dollar base salary.

MLB ERA

I've watched Glaus while he was playing for the Angels. He has hitting ability but playing first base, I'm not sure about. Only played a few games at 1B in his entire career. Is it me or does it seem that the Braves are always heading into Spring with players who have question marks?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am sure he'll be able to handle 1B with at least a avg. replacement level type of production. I do like this move though. Glaus, unless the injury and time off really threw him off, should be counted on for 60-70 XBH and a .360+ OBP if he stays healthy. Could be a great chip at the deadline if he is healthy and if the Braves are no longer in the running.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Can we have the HGH version of Glaus?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per rotoworld:

The Atlanta Journal Constituion's Dave O'Brien writes that Troy Glaus was "effortlessly hitting bombs" in batting practice Tuesday.

It's welcome news for Braves fans and those combing spring rosters for fantasy sleepers. Glaus is certainly capable of a bounce-back season and playing first base in Atlanta should only help keep him healthy. The 33-year-old played in just 14 games last year because of shoulder and back issues, but he hit .270/.372/.483 in 2008 with 27 home runs and 99 RBI over 151 contests.
    Is he back? Atlanta could really use a big bat right now. I will be interested to see if this is just bp and ST banterfor now.

MLB ERA

I have low expectations so that I can't be disappointed.

MLB ERA

I have high expectations and I always get disappointed. Hopefully he can be the 30 homer bat we desperately need in the lineup. We have other quality contributors like Chipper, McCann, and McLouth, and are only lacking a true power bat. If he comes through.. We're going to be very good. If he doesn't.. I think I've seen that picture before.