Thread: Crasnick article on Tommy Hanson

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Braves Crasnick article on Tommy Hanson

I think it's between Happ and Hanson, no disrespect to the other guys, but Happ kept Philly's rotation afloat with Hamels underperforming and Hanson has been a nice find after cutting Glavine and Lowe being a failure. Yes, for what money he got in his contract, Lowe is borderline epic fail.

Atlanta Braves 'impressed' with rookie Tommy Hanson - ESPN

Hanson has put the Elias Sports Bureau researchers to work since joining the Braves in early June. He became the first National League rookie to beat the Red Sox and Yankees in the same season, and his streak of 26 shutout innings was the most by a Braves rookie since Steve Bedrosian logged 27 in a row in 1982. His 11 strikeouts against San Francisco in a start in July were the most by a first-year Braves pitcher since Bob Sadowski whiffed 12 Pirates in September 1963.

Before the season is over, J.A. Happ, Andrew McCutchen, Garrett Jones, Chris Coghlan, Gerardo Parra, Randy Wells and Colby Rasmus will have their say in the NL Rookie of the Year race. But with a strong September, Hanson has a chance to join Earl Williams, Bob Horner, David Justice and Rafael Furcal as Braves to win the award.
    Cox raves about Hanson's toughness, makeup and "mound presence,'' and Hudson sees a quiet confidence in Hanson that the great ones possess. While most young pitchers arrive in the big leagues and hope they can get hitters out, Hanson quietly and methodically takes control. He knows he's going to win the confrontation: It's just a question of how.

"A lot of kids come up and have great stuff and potential, but mentally they can't get over that hump,'' Hudson says. "They have that doubt: 'Am I really going to be this good. Can I really do it at this level?' Tommy just goes out there and does it and believes it. It's not a cockiness. He's just confident in the ability that God has blessed him with.''
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Crasnick article on Tommy Hanson

i dont think its as cut and dry as that. happ is probably the favorite, but randy wells has an era at about 3 with 125 innings, mccutchen has 37 xbh and 15 sbs, garrett jones (WHO?) has a .970 ops inexplicably.

id probably go happ, mccutchen and wells in that order... simply because im biased against 27-28 year old rookies. hanson is gonna be filth in the future though, no debating... hell hes having a real nice year this year, but i dont think he'll get the roy.

damn the links in the articles went right to their stats. that wouldve saved me alot of time.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jones only has 200 at bats or near that, which isn't much despite the power production and Wells problem is that he's on the cubs and everyone associates them as a disappointment, with good reason, nothing against him of course. I do think it's Happ, mostly because he's played more, it seems anyways, this season. He has 140 some innings logged right now. Hanson only 88. I can give you Wells or McCutchen over Hanson based on that, but if Atlanta freakishly sneaks into the playoffs...
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Yes, for what money he got in his contract, Lowe is borderline epic fail.
    Can we rent him off you guys for Game 1 of the playoffs?

And I don't think J.A. Happ should qualify as a rookie after having pitched in parts of the 2007 and 2008 season.

MLB ERA

I'm for Hanson.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

I just hope he doesn't crash and burn like Jeff did after his rookie season ended.