Thread: Lunch time chatter edition 3:

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Braves Lunch time chatter edition 3:

It's time that I share my thoughts on the Atlanta Braves for the "first" "half". Since that's a popular thing to do with your team.

For the division, it's not been as good as many believed it might (unless your realmofotalk, then every team sucks horribly), it's not even been close. Until recently, Philadelphia was barely over .500. The mets find new and creative, yet impressive ways to rack up fielding errors and increase the size of their disabled list. The marlins have 1.5 competent pitchers and the nationals can't spell their team name correctly. That leaves Atlanta.

General assessment of the team is that they are wildly inconsistent, hovering above and below .500 the entire season. The offense has not been pretty, and as noted by big mouth Steve Phillips, Atlanta has no impact speed and no impact power. This is true on all accounts. Even with what they have, it's still not been sightly with injuries and inconsistencies. For pitching, it's been a pleasant surprise. We may remember this year for Tom Glavine being released, but it's also worth pointing out Javier Vazquez regaining form and Tommy Hansen splashing onto the scene. The pen has had its moments, then again, nearly all of the top arms in the pen are coming off major injury in the last couple of seasons, Mike Gonzalez being one who's recently shown the wear and tear as a result.

Catching:
    Brian McCann got off to a horrible start because he frankly couldn't see the ball. With that fixed, he's hit nearly .330 since and was the all-star back up to Yadier Molina. The power still has yet to show up but McCann is one of the most consistent bats the braves have.

1B:
    I never cared much for the Casey Kotchman acquisition and he's done nothing but support my feelings. He has no power here. How's it that Martin Prado shows more power? I think they should trade Kotchman in the off season and look at other options.

2B:
    I like Kelly Johnson, but I understand injury+inconsistency=never a good thing. He'll rebound. Martin Prado has been amazing as a utility man, sort of a mini version of Mark DeRosa. He also hit .300 last year in essentially the same role.

SS:
    Yunel Escobar is either going to give Bobby Cox a heart attack or a new lease on life. The man can hit and field, but it seems like he does something to scratch your head over. He has some growing up to do, no doubt. But as he proved recently against the mets, the guy can really hit in clutch situations.

3B:
    It just has to be a rule of thumb, you gotta have a competent back up for this position because Chipper will always need rest and will always miss time due to injury. It's just a fact of life. He has not hit for much power this season, I hope he gets on a roll soon to pad his resume for the Hall.

Outfield:
    I didn't care much for the Garret Anderson signing, he's still decent with the bat but he wasn't someone Atlanta needed. Really, at this point, he's just like almost all of the other hitters on Atlanta- marginal power, no speed, average defensive range. None to thrilling in my opinion, and it's nothing against the guy. He'd be great for other systems. I loved the McLouth trade because that is someone with power and speed, and I find it interesting he leads off. He's also a high character player and Atlanta oozes such a kind. Jeff Francoeur was done here, whether he takes off in New York or elsewhere, so be it, but he was done. He fell from 100 rbi guy to 11 homerun, no average, and still as usual, no OBP. He has his moments, with that gun in right he can make up for a lot of poor play. Matt Diaz as always, continues to murder lefties and perform very well as a member of the braves. He was actually getting the majority of starts over Frenchy before he was dealt, if that's not a sign, I don't know what is. What I do like is that Diaz can platoon with Anderson and Church, it didn't make as much sense platooning with Frenchy. Church will fit better in that regard, and I have no qualms against him, but he's much like Anderson, Kotchman, etc. No real power, no speed.

Rotation:
    Derek Lowe has been completely hit or miss and has several poor outings against bad teams. He has not earned that vicious contract. Javier Vazquez has pitched very well, despite rare run support. He's looked more like his Montreal days. Yes, Montreal days. Hansen has been up and down too, but it's great that Atlanta decided to let him go and start to build up a career. Jair Jurrjens continues to pitch well, albeit in many ways lucky since he doesn't strike out many and walks a fair share. But he beats most of what Detroit is trotting out past Verlander and Jackson. How'd Renteria work out for you, Detroit? Kawakami has been o.k. but nothing flashy.

Pen:
    The mix of Gonzalez and Soriano has mostly been effective, but Gonzalez is now feeling the effects of the workload post major injury. The pen continues to have potential but hold your breath in fear of hearing a pop. I like what Gonzo has done, his k per 9 had been excellent in a setup role. Moylan has been somewhat effective, same for Acosta. There's not a lot of proven success among the arms, which is kind of a concern i nsome ways.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: Lunch time chatter edition 3:

Thanks for posting. Nice little insight for me since I can't watch the games. Can you do a little second half review after the season as well?

I'm glad they locked McCain up for serveral years. That was a great decision. I wasn't too sure of the Kotchman deal either. Not much impact from him. Chipper, well Chipper is just great. I will always be basis on him because he is my favorite player. I believe right now he is Hall worthy.

Pitching has been a problem since the streak ended serveral years ago. They need to find a way to get back to the dominant pitching.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."