Thread: I want Adam Dunn.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Braves I want Adam Dunn.

My ode and apology to one Adam Dunn. For years and years, well really since your full time arrival into the big leagues, I have never cared much for you as a baseball player. I mocked your lack of fundamentals as a hitter, and mostly everything as a defensive player. I scoffed at your supporters in the Cincinnati faction of this forum. I just didn't think much of you, you were, for the most part, a circus side-show attraction that hit titanic bombs and made thunderous whiffs with your bat.

The turning point was two-fold. For a down economy and a pretty slow free agency that grew stale once the yankees ate up everything, it was interesting to see 40 homeruns and 100 walks draw so little attention. Even being not a very well versed or tooly player, some AL team must have had a real need for power and OBP. Maybe a team with a gaping hole at 1B or a team who had a fledgling hitter as a 1B in the NL or AL. But Washington? A team that was hell bent on wasting their off season thinking they could land Mark Teixeira, who now employ Mike McDougle as a closer, and just bamboozled the poor pirates by dumping Lastings Milledge, who lost their GM over some foreign scouting scandal, ...decide 2 years 20 million for Dunn? They bought a new Mustang on clearance. I felt bad. I would have taken Dunn on my team. And technically, I did, I kept him on my fantasy team (over Adrian Gonzalez, yeah yeah, shut up).

But the second thing, his desire and genuine passion for wanting to be on the Unites States team for the World Baseball Classic. He was interviewed after the first game, one where he hit homerun, and all he could do was express his thankfulness to be apart of that team. When so many thumb there noses at the idea of being in the WBC, amongst many other reasons, it was refreshing to see that. I completely changed my view point of Adam Dunn right there.

Anddddddddd Mr. Peter Gammons says:
    Washington will trade Nick Johnson, Adam Dunn and virtually any and all position players except Ryan Zimmerman, as they try to morph the club's makeup and athleticism. The Pirates are trying to restock on the fly, which means Matt Capps, Freddy Sanchez, John Grabow and Adam LaRoche can be discussed.
    Great! Sign me up, er, Atlanta up. Didn't like the Garret Anderson signing, I'm tired of the never ending Jeff Francoeur reclamation project (the royals want him, don't get in their way, just deal him) and Matt Diaz is a fine player as a platoon guy but he's not a full time guy. Oh and the 1B has as much power as Craig Counsell. Okay, maybe Kotchman has a little more pop. But not much. I didn't like him either. So deal for Dunn, but keep the key pitching prospects obviously (and Heyward). Rotate him between LF and 1B. We get impact power which every ESPN guru says we have zilch of and it's true pretty much. He's still young, he doesn't have a killer contract at all. Why the hell not? I hope someone jumps on the wagon here, but they have to realize he's not the saviour (like Arizona thought). He's a great piece to put behind good hitters (like Chipper and Brian McCann).
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: I want Adam Dunn.

At this point, why not? He might strikeout a lot but so did Francouer. The way the Braves are going can it get any worse?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

I don't think Wren has it in him to trade for Dunn, as he is only signed for one year.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

Yeah, I'm not sure at all about Dunn. One of my best friends has been begging to get Dunn since about halfway through the offseason, so we've had this discussion before. I think he would fit beautifully in the Braves' lineup, but Garrett Anderson sits squarely in the way of that happening. And I'm not sure anything can be done about that.

MLB ERA

Dunn's deal is 2 yrs and I think the Braves can consider it anyways... Just dump Anderson, and let Dunn play left, you need a bat and he'll be cheaper than holliday or someone in that talent level

MLB ERA

Play Dunn at 1b thats where he "should" be. Dunno how the Nati Nals view him right now. You could do much worse than Adam Dunn. Yes he strikes out a lot but how many power hitters who will give you 40 HRs DONT strike out a ton?

And yes Dunn's contract was 2 yrs for 20 mil this offseason. If anything else he walks next year he'll be a guy who should fall under class A Free Agent netting the Braves compensation.

He will never be Batman but he could be a very good Robin for a lineup.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Not ignoring the difference between OOTP and real life, I still love the irony of KoZ posting a thread stating he wants Adam Dunn.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Francoeur is a AAA bat boy compared to Dunn.

Yeah yeah Leo, it's one of those bizarre moments in life. But I'm not saying Atlanta should deal for him and re-structure the deal to be 6 years, 15 mill per like the OOTP guys give him
    Ted

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Fangraphs determined a month ago that he was the worst defensive player in the league from 2007-09, according fielding metrics. You also won't love his 1.2 wins above a replacement player at 1b, compared to singles hitter James Loney's 1.4, and Loney is a below average fielder in his own right.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I can live with the defense, it's the bat that atl needs. Especially the power
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You do realize that his defense basically negates his offensive production. Hard to believe, I know, but the number crunchers have figured it out.

MLB ERA

I absolutely HATE those defensive metrics that put WAAAAAYYYY too much emphasis on hits given up=runs scored by opponents. Most ALL of them are way to generous in that department. Is Dunn a gold glover? No, is he even average? Probably not but you dont just shake a tree and find 40 HR guys. No matter how bad defensively a guy is there is no way that defense can negate the offensive value of a player by that extreme. I remember seeing in one "defensive" metric that each hit "in zone" counted something like .8 of a run against a player... basically meaning that 80% of the time a guy got on he would score... ya right. There isnt a metric that comes close to being "in the park".
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Give Atlanta, Russell Branyan and Adam Dunn. You imagine their combined strike out total.

Over/Under would be set at 380.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I absolutely HATE those defensive metrics that put WAAAAAYYYY too much emphasis on hits given up=runs scored by opponents. Most ALL of them are way to generous in that department. Is Dunn a gold glover? No, is he even average? Probably not but you dont just shake a tree and find 40 HR guys. No matter how bad defensively a guy is there is no way that defense can negate the offensive value of a player by that extreme. I remember seeing in one "defensive" metric that each hit "in zone" counted something like .8 of a run against a player... basically meaning that 80% of the time a guy got on he would score... ya right. There isnt a metric that comes close to being "in the park".
    If the metric is really like .8 of a run, I suppose that does support why it's hard to believe 40 HR's can be negated almost completely.