Thread: Setback For Glavine

MLB ERA

Braves Setback For Glavine

Quote Originally Posted by Braves.com
    ATLANTA -- Possibly just one or two innings away from deeming himself ready to join Atlanta's rotation, Tom Glavine encountered some left shoulder discomfort that could prevent him from making his scheduled regular-season debut on Saturday.

Glavine felt the discomfort while taking a swing during the second inning of Sunday's Minor League rehab start for Double-A Mississippi. The 43-year-old left-hander will be further evaluated by Braves medical personnel on Monday.

"I don't know how bad it is, or if it's serious at all," said Braves manager Bobby Cox after being provided minimal details following his team's 8-5 win over the Nationals on Sunday.
    Well not good news for the Braves. I just hope it's nothing serious. They need the 5th starter to give them another day of rest.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Re: Setback For Glavine

Glavine could give the Braves quite a lift this season. I hope he comes back soon, but healthy.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yep, no need to rush Glavine. Give him the week or two he needs so hopefully he can turn in 150+ innings of quality pitching.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't think anyone can really expect much from Glavine this year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Atlanta Braves left-hander Tom Glavine has inflammation in his left rotator cuff and will rest for two weeks before being evaluated again.

The 43-year-old was examined Tuesday by Dr. James Andrews and had an MRI. Andrews advised treatment and rest.

General manager Frank Wren said the Braves "were happy that it wasn't more serious."

Atlanta said Monday that left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes will be recalled from Triple-A Gwinnett to start Saturday at Pittsburgh, which had been Glavine's first scheduled start of the season.

Glavine ended his minor league start with Double-A Mississippi after only two innings on Sunday because of soreness in the shoulder.
    Looks like they will wait longer to bring up Hanson. We might have seen the last pitch from Glavine last season.

MLB ERA

If his arm does not get better in about 2 weeks than I guess he is going to retire. I would like for him to come back but with his age I could understand why he would retire instead.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Yeah, this sucks. But at least we actually have a backup plan this year, instead of praying and hoping guys like Glavine, Hampton, and Smoltz will someday return to pitch. Everything I hear about Reyes suggests he has continued to improve, so hopefully he will give us a few solid starts. We also have Jorge Campillo and, in a month or two, Tommy Hanson can make his debut. Not the ideal plan, but given the question marks about Glavine's actual ability these days, not that big of a deal. Only a big deal emotionally for us longtime Braves fans.