Thread: Nationals @ Braves

MLB ERA

Game Nationals @ Braves

(0-3) vs. (2-1)

4/10 Game 1: Shairon Martis (0-0, -.-- ERA) vs. Derek Lowe (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

4/11 Game 2: John Lannan (0-1, 18.00 ERA) vs. Kenshin Kawakami (0-0, -.-- ERA)

4/12 Game 3: Scott Olsen (0-1, 24.00 ERA) vs. Jair Jurrjens (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

Braves need to win this series. They should be able to sweep but the bullpen needs to do it's job. Friday nights game might not be played because it's scheduled to storm all day Friday. I will be at these games so I won't be here to post on the thread during the games.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Re: Nationals @ Braves

It's going to be tough for me tomorrow night to get into the game after yesterday's debacle. Hopefully the Braves players won't feel quite the same. It certainly looked like a lock for us to start 4-0, but if we can win this series (and that should be the goal for every series, obviously) then I'll take a 4-2 or 5-1 start. Definitely need to capitalize on these games though. We cannot have a losing record against the Nationals like we did last year if we expect to compete for the division title.

Lowe should dominate the lineup on Friday night, but I'm really interested to see Kawakami pitch on Saturday. Not that one game really means a lot as far as his potential at performing at a high level this season, but I want to see what he looks like. Hopefully Sunday will give Jurrjens a chance to go a little deeper in the game.

What yesterday's meltdown exposed, more than anything else, is a potential weakness in the Braves' middle relief. Atlanta desperately needs Vazquez, Jurrjens, and Glavine to get though six, and into the seventh, on a consistent basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold that Moylan or Boyer or Campillo is going to suck that badly the whole season, but considering the number of pitches some of our starters throw in the early innings, we have to have strong middle relievers.

One of the most curious things to me yesterday was Bobby's choice to not go with Bennett or Campillo to start the seventh. I'm sure he was just thinking of getting some of these guys a little work in a meaningless game, but up seven with three innings to go seems like a perfect situation to throw out one of your long relievers. If there's one thing I hate more than anything else about Bobby Cox, it's his weakness in managing a bullpen. I'm confusing the situations to a point, because yesterday was not about Bobby mismanaging anything, but about our relievers being incapable of throwing a strike, and I know that. Still so frustrating. UGH...

MLB ERA

Looking forward to putting that last game behind everyone.

The weather right now could delay the start of the game.

MLB ERA

Rain delay. Hang in there, DravenX.

MLB ERA

Yeah it was about a 2 hour delay I think. The game didn't end until almost 2am. The Braves finally won though after Gonzalez blew it in the 9th.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Although Gonzalez did blow it, that one's all on Diaz. Definitely should've been charged an error. You can't give up an out and put a runner on second and expect no problems. Gonzalez still didn't pitch well, but came up with two huge strikeouts to get out of the bases loaded jam.

The game was a pretty crazy one, but one that we needed to win, and we did. Because of that, I'll be satisfied and look forward to seeing Kawakami pitch tonight.

MLB ERA

We got pretty decent seats to check out Kawakami. We are 25 rows behind home plate. Tomorrow to save money we will be in the upper deck behind home plate. I have some pictures I will post up sometime next week.

MLB ERA

Another great game by the Braves. It was pretty exciting but it was also cold. I got more photos and a few videos as well. I'll upload them to youtube and post them. I got a video of the Fireworks tonight. Since last nights game lasted so long due to the rain delay the firework show was postponed for tonight.

Tomorrow is my last game and the Braves last game in the series. We will be in the upper deck but I will take more pics so I can give you all a view of our point of view from the best stadium around, Turner Field.

MLB ERA

It's always nice to sweep the worst team in the league.

MLB ERA

Well it was a great series. I am now in TN for the next 2 weeks but I will still be watching the Braves. My mom only has basic cable so she don't get any sports channel. I will either watch it at my in-laws or watch it over mlb.tv.

The Braves are off on Monday and kick off Game 1 against the Marlins Tuesday night.

MLB ERA

I was really glad to get the sweep and start the year out 5-1 against teams we went a combined 10-26 against last year. The pitching as a whole was pretty solid, but Jurrjens has to cut down on his walks (and thus, pitch count) so he can get a little deeper into games. Not getting though six really isn't acceptable, and pitching into the seventh is what we should be looking for.

Kawakami looked excellent after he settled down. I think I'll attribute his lack of control to some nerves, as I understand he is known as something of a control freak in Japan.

The bullpen made a big bounce back. I was really pumped when Moylan struck out the side in a 1-2-3 inning on Saturday night. He's a huge key for us.

I know it can't keep up, but the clutch hitting has just been amazing. Today, at one point, I believe we were 7-7 with RISP. Amazing. Yunel is now 7-9 on the season in that situation, if I am correct.

A lot to be excited about, and we get a break against the Marlins by missing Nolasco and Johnson. Looking to win another series here and extend our early lead in the East.