Thread: Garret Anderson The Brave

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves Garret Anderson The Brave

The Braves and Garret Anderson have reportedly come to terms on a one-year, $2.5 million contract.
    All signs pointed to this happening once Ken Griffey Jr. picked the Mariners. The Braves really should have gone out and paid for Adam Dunn, even at the expense of some pitching, and barring that, Jim Edmonds would have made a lot more sense than Anderson. This is just another completely uninspired move from Braves GM Frank Wren.
    Anderson is not a bad pickup at all especially for the price but I agree that Edmonds would have been a better fit. Edmonds plays better defense than Anderson. But then Anderson is a better hitter. Take the good with the bad I guess. Anderson and Diaz in LF should make for a solid platoon. Braves needed to add some offense and they got some. Anderson has never had a good OBP but he can get hits in big spots and drive in some run. Hitting behind guys like McCann and Chipper is a perfect spot. Anderson will reunite with former Angel Casey Kotchman. Good signing for the money.

MLB ERA

Re: Garret Anderson The Brave

I don't disagree that Edmunds might have been a better fit. The Braves have a few corner outfielders in camp already and are a bit short in center. I like this signing as well, however. Anderson is not done yet.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Edmonds' .235 BA is fairly pathetic. I'm happier with Anderson.

I just wish we'd get some damn pitching.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Edmonds was more for the defense but he did have a better second half than his overalls numbers last year show. I am starting to rethink the NL East now.

MLB ERA

I am definitely happier with Anderson than Edmonds. It could be confusing if Josh Anderson wins the CF job though... "And the ball is hit toward the gap in left-center field, Anderson gives chase. Anderson waves off Anderson, Anderson makes the catch." That would be tough.

Anyways, this puts the Braves in a great position to have a competitive year. The outfield depth is outstanding, and the SP depth isn't all that bad either, when you consider the way Campillo pitched last year and the possible (probable?) availability of Tommy Hanson midway through the summer. It is shaping up to be an exciting year (the first in awhile) to be a Braves fan.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bcshorts View Post
    Anyways, this puts the Braves in a great position to have a competitive year. The outfield depth is outstanding, and the SP depth isn't all that bad either, when you consider the way Campillo pitched last year and the possible (probable?) availability of Tommy Hanson midway through the summer. It is shaping up to be an exciting year (the first in awhile) to be a Braves fan.
    I agree.

People I've talked to sound real pessimistic about the season, but they improved! I have a cautious optimism for the new season. I am worried more about scoring runs than pitching.

In my mind, Hanson is the key to the success or failure of the Braves' season.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    In my mind, Hanson is the key to the success or failure of the Braves' season.
    I couldn't disagree more. Hanson would be nothing more than icing on the cake. He's not going to make the major league roster, and he won't be part of the big team until June or later. He definitely isn't the key. The Braves have a very good, deep rotation. Even if Kawakami or Glavine gets hurt or struggles, Campillo or Reyes are probably ahead of Hanson. I don't know, I just don't see how Hanson is any sort of key. If he can come in during the summer and give us a boost, then great. But the Braves can win the division without him pitching a single inning in the majors.