Thread: Extension For Chipper?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves Extension For Chipper?

Chipper Jones and the Braves have had discussions about a contract extension for the veteran third baseman. After winning the 2008 batting title with a .364 average at 36, Jones is in the final season of his contract, an option year that vested at the maximum $11 million. He has spent his entire career in the Braves organization and ranks as one of the greatest switch-hitters in history, with a .310 average, 449 doubles, 408 homers and 1,374 RBIs in 15 seasons, along with a .408 on-base percentage.
    Let the man retire a Brave. I hope they don't do like they did Glavine and Smoltz and allow him to leave. I think after Smoltz's negative comments the Braves will be more inclined to keep Chipper around. He can still hit with the best of them and in a few more years we will have to start the HOF talks for Chipper if we can't already. I like Chipper and always have. One thing that could scare the Braves is his health but on a two year extension or so, its worth it.

MLB ERA

Re: Extension For Chipper?

Unlike Smoltz and Glavine, Chipper is still one of the best and most productive at his position. So it obviously makes a lot more sense to give him an extension than it was to overpay for Smoltz and potentially Glavine.

With that said I would've liked to have kept all of the big Braves players: Smoltz, Maddux, Glavine, Chipper, Andruw... but even of these, only two were true Braves in my mind. Smoltz decided to bail. Chipper wants to stay. Chipper hasn't been one of my favorite players, but maybe he should be.

MLB ERA

Smoltz wanted another chance at a ring and was compensated nicely for that desire. Chipper would do the same if Rings mattered to him, but if the Braves will pay him fairly then he should stay a Brave and who knows maybe the Braves will overperform and get back to the Series
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Braves have a lot of good players just a season or two away. Chipper would be a great leader for those players. Hanson, Heyward, Schafer and Hernandez are all studs! The Braves will be on top of the East soon. Hopefully by then Pendleton will be managing. Don;t know how much longer Cox can go.

MLB ERA

I've been impressed how productive Chipper has been this late in his career (when he isn't injured of course).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A source told MLB.com that the Braves and Chipper Jones are closing in on a three-year extension with an option for 2013.
    That's a long time to be locking up an injury-prone player entering his age-37 season, but Chipper is as productive as ever and probably will settle for fewer dollars in return for the chance to finish his career in Atlanta. He would be eligible for free agency after this season.
    I said earlier that two years should be the most the Braves go and still believe that. Jones is not the poster boy for staying healthy so that third year is scary. I hope Jones has a great year because he is my third baseman on my fantasy team

Chipper is worth the third year IMO, he is one of the all time great Braves.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by MLB.com
    Jones and the Braves have agreed to terms of a three-year contract extension that includes a fourth-year team option with a vesting component. The guaranteed portion of the deal is worth $42 million, and the overall potential value over four years rests at $61 million.
    It will be official in about 12 mins. I'm very pleased to see the Braves didn't pass on another Braves legend.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

This is way cool to me. I'm glad Chipper is gonna retire a Brave.

Unless they trade him, which probably won't happen.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

I just can't see that happening. They know they need Chipper. He might be injury prone but he is still a great hitter.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."