Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going for Junior?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rumor Going for Junior?

That Ken Griffey Jr.-to-Seattle reunion isn't a foregone conclusion just yet.

Two baseball sources told ESPN.com on Saturday that the Atlanta Braves are making a late play for Griffey and have begun discussing money with his agent.

Atlanta, which has been looking for a reasonably priced, veteran outfield bat, lost out to the Los Angeles Angels this week in a bid to sign Bobby Abreu.

If the Braves don't sign Griffey, they could turn to veteran Garret Anderson as a fallback. But sources said that Griffey is Atlanta's prime target, and the Braves are "in the mix'' for his services.

The interest is apparently mutual. Griffey lives in Orlando, Fla., where Atlanta's spring training site is located, and has a good relationship with Braves manager Bobby Cox.

Griffey would also be willing to split time with Matt Diaz in left field for the Braves, sources said.
    Sources: Atlanta Braves in mix for Ken Griffey Jr. - ESPN

Great knowing Atlanta was just another team that wasn't willing to go a little bit more to sign Abreu to a one year deal. Or even Adam Dunn on two years. Excellent message to send to the rest of the team.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Going for Junior?

Wren supposedly really wanted Abreu but he would have had a hard time finding $5 million without making some moves.

MLB ERA

I wouldn't mind seeing Griffey in a Braves uniform. I always liked the idea of him playing for Atlanta.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

I still can't believe he'd turn down an offer from Seattle, even if he has a house in the area
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post

Great knowing Atlanta was just another team that wasn't willing to go a little bit more to sign Abreu to a one year deal. Or even Adam Dunn on two years. Excellent message to send to the rest of the team.
    I think the Braves really dropped the ball with Abreu. Abreu at $5 million was a steal and the Braves could find the money for a #3 hitter. Griffey is apparently in the best shape since his days in Seattle so getting him at $3 million should be the way to go for the Braves. Seeing Griffey and Chipper in the same lineup would be fun to watch.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I still can't believe he'd turn down an offer from Seattle, even if he has a house in the area
    Why? Atlanta has very fierce NL East competition, making it near impossible for them to have a chance at the Wild Card, but their team is still better than what the Mariners will have this year. Griffey has way too much to being playing for his next contract, especially in this market, and I think the hope was that Tampa Bay would sign him... which obviously changed once they signed Burrell. Griffey has his eyes set on a contender, or in this case a team that might be a contender if all the stars align in the sky. A love fest until late May in Seattle, where fans would get tired of the novelty as it becomes normalcy and some may even turn on Griffey should the casual fan have unrealistic expectations doesn't sound like his best option. Plus let's say that Griffey does have a decent season, .820/.840 OPS, I guarantee you there might be pressure for him to retire on a high note in a Seattle uniform whether he wants to or not so Seattle can move on.

With that said, I think Atlanta is a team that could surprise if their offense (which looks bleak right now) turns it around. If Francouer bounces back for instance and they make a smart platoon signing for the OF, they could stay in the race although I don't think they would ultimately win it.

If they want to compete though, a Griffey and Diaz platoon makes a lot sense offensively. Griffey can still hit righties at a good clip.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
    Atlanta is his first choice. He really wants to play for the Braves. Has a daughter on an Atlanta AAU team and a son who’s playing high school football this year in Orlando, and Griffey doesn’t want to be on the other side of the country at Seattle. Plus, he’s always wanted to play for Bobby Cox.
    If I had to bet, I’d say this gets done early next week.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

McCann, Chipper and Griffey in the middle of the lineup will be a much needed improvement.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Kinda sad when a .778 OPS is deemed as "much needed improvement"
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Like I said, check his splits vs RHP. Him and Diaz, offensively, would be an above average platoon for the position. Griffey though loses before he steps into the batters box against a lefty however.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm expecting a 2007 type year from Griffey with his knees cleaned up and lighter on the scale. Griffey from the five hole looks good to me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Like I said, check his splits vs RHP. Him and Diaz, offensively, would be an above average platoon for the position. Griffey though loses before he steps into the batters box against a lefty however.
    The TED is not quite the Great Homerun Ball Park. But the more problematic scenario I think is that if he's useless against lefties, then he's sitting against Santana-Perez-Hamels-Miller-Romero(if somehow defeats the system)-Moyer-Feliciano. Certainly he has plenty of righties to tee off on but most of the better division rival pitchers are lefty and I don't know how you personally would like Matt Diaz in a big spot against any of those pitchers above. I agree with Reefer about Atlanta missing out on Abreu, like many other teams, cause Abreu can hit both well and you worry less about him breaking down in the outfield as a defender.

Junior should go to Seattle and DH.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    The TED is not quite the Great Homerun Ball Park. But the more problematic scenario I think is that if he's useless against lefties, then he's sitting against Santana-Perez-Hamels-Miller-Romero(if somehow defeats the system)-Moyer-Feliciano. Certainly he has plenty of righties to tee off on but most of the better division rival pitchers are lefty and I don't know how you personally would like Matt Diaz in a big spot against any of those pitchers above. I agree with Reefer about Atlanta missing out on Abreu, like many other teams, cause Abreu can hit both well and you worry less about him breaking down in the outfield as a defender.

Junior should go to Seattle and DH.
    Griffey, for the cost he should now come at due to what Abreu signed for, would be a very effective RHP slugger. You make valid points and I am well aware of the lefty dominance of the NL East and in no way saying Diaz is teeing off of those folks (but more effectively so than Jr) but I have an insight watching Jr. for many years. Griffey still is not accustomed to struggling. Think about the situation, he would get frequent rest and avoid the humiliation that LHP AB's are for him. Griffey has a tendency to really slide after bad performances, even just bad AB's, Griffey could then very well perform at a higher clip with increased rest and by being in better shape.

Abreu would have been the far better option, but if you want to make the best out of a bad situation by losing out on him do you sign Garrett Anderson or Griffey? I think the choice is obvious.

With all due respect for Griffey, I think Abreu would have been a far better option. In all honesty, the Braves have no excuse for not signing Adam Dunn given the contract he received, but even so, I think that Anderson would make more sense for them.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

I think the signing is good. The money is not too bad. Junior can split time at LF with Diaz, and maybe he can teach the young OF prospects a couple tricks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast