Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves sign Derek Lowe

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Braves Get Down Lowe

I have been hearing Perez fans screaming potential for years and it hasn't happened yet. He will never be one of the elite starters of the game. He is 27 but this will be his 8th season with no signs of curing his control problems. Jonathan Sanchez is going down the exact same path as Oliver Perez which is why I don't have much faith in Sanchez. Lowe might regress but most likely not to the 4.39 ERA that Perez has for a career.

MLB ERA

Perez's numbers are actually VERY similar to Scott Kazmir's, other than a slight difference in ERA. Kazmir has been in the MLB for 5 years. Is he hopeless too? Perez has actually improved his WHIP has had a league average or better ERA both of the last two years, has pumped up his K numbers, and actually appeared to be finding himself once Rick Peterson was fired. Perez may never be an ace, but he will undoubtedly be better than Lowe for at least the 4th season of each's contract....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Slight difference in ERA? Over half a run is not a slight difference. Perez walks more batters, gives up way more runs and gives up the long ball at a higher rate all while playing in a league without an extra hitter. Kazmir has never had an ERA over 4, Perez has only had one in the past four years. Perez has pumped up his K's but lets not forget his walks. He lead the league in walks. Kazmir is a lot better than Perez. Only worry with Kazmir is if his arm with stay attached. While you may have no doubts about Perez being better than Lowe in year four, I do. I like Perez as a #3 or 4 pitcher but that's it and its no certainty the Mets will even get Perez. But there is no doubt Lowe is the better of the two.

MLB ERA

Considering the Mets made an offer to Perez, and no one else has even spoken to his agent, it is certainly a likelihood that Perez will return to NY. He will make 5 million dollars less per year, and fits in fine with the Mets rotation.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No doubt he will make less money than Lowe, he isn't as good. Still, there are teams out there that would love to have Perez and now that he is likely the best starter left on the market, the Mets might have to overpay for his services just like the Braves did. Lowe and Perez have the same agent, the devil himself.

MLB ERA

True, but like I said, no one even approached Boras about him, at least according to MLB Trade Rumors. So, I mean, I'm not sure how much competition there will be, but Perez has good odds to end up back in NY.

MLB ERA

Cardinals Re: Braves Get Down Lowe

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    But it's not like Perez doesn't have the potential to be among the elite starters.
    Reefer just doesn't get it. Perez has the potential to be among the elite closers. oh.... wait! wrong perez....wrong forum.

you may proceed....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Chris Perez has the potential to be a good setup man, Oliver Perez has the potential to be a good #3 starter.

MLB ERA

Still doesn't change the gayness of the thread title.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So, how's the East Coast treating Derek Lowe? Is he loving the intensity of facing stacked lineups in the East? Does he enjoy the view of the Atlantic Ocean from his coastal Atlanta home?

Figured Realmofotalk would come in here with his sarcastic-but-unfunny gloating as per usual.

Aside from 3 bad outings (May 6, June 14, June 25), Lowe has been nothing short of exceptional.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd loved to have D-Lowe back, but I never got why he was so itching to return to the East Coast.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Granted you're not getting run support from the braves offense, but his wins are against Pittsburgh, Houston, Florida (wasn't a good outing), and Cincy early in the year. He was murdered by the yankees, did ok against the red sox, did well against the phillies in the first game of the year but let's be honest, it's the first game of the year, lost to the NATINALS, and lost to the DBacks.

Please tell me where I should be excited about this signing, for that kind of money? I love how some people defend this contract when he's been nothing but borderline average and really, his best performances came in his first start and a loss to the rockies.

Never liked the signing and frankly he's done nothing but justify my discontent.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: Braves sign Derek Lowe

Why did someone edit my funny thread title?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12