Thread: Smoltz's Comeback Trail

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves Smoltz's Comeback Trail

John Smoltz threw off a mound Friday for the first time since undergoing shoulder surgery in June.
    And, according to manager Bobby Cox, Smoltz was quite impressive. "It was just a terrific performance for the first time, after undergoing what he did," said Cox. "John’s on Cloud 9. No pain at all. None. Zero pain. Man, he’s way ahead of schedule." The Smoltz comeback effort appears to be full speed ahead, though counting on him to contribute positively in '09 might be wishful thinking.
    Good news for Braves fans but bad news for my dream of Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz all retiring together. Smoltz would be the closer for the Braves next year if he comes back.

MLB ERA

Re: Smoltz's Comeback Trail

I still don't think he's going to be as effective as he may think. He may play, but I can't believe he's gonna be a major player for the Braves until I see it....

MLB ERA

Smoltz is a warrior. He does what the Braves need him to be. I wouldn't mind seeing him finish his career as the Braves closer. Get more saves under his belt.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Smoltz is extremely bright and when determined, nothing can stop him. When he wanted to comeback and be a starter again, many doubted him but not me. He can definitely come back and be a damn good closer if he has no setbacks.

MLB ERA

In Smoltz we trust. He can and should come back as the closer. If they can stop trading all the young talent for one player we might actually have people.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."