Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw Peavy, Get Vazquez?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves Screw Peavy, Get Vazquez?

Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that the White Sox and Braves are in a serious discussions regarding a Javier Vazquez deal.
    Jo-Jo Reyes and Brent Lillibridge arm among the players being talked about. Vazquez would be a nice pickup for Atlanta if the team could get him without parting with a top-notch prospect. He's under control for two more years at a total of $23 million. The Mets were also believed to be interested.
    Really? This is the backup plan for missing out on Peavy? All the Braves have to do is extend a no-trade clause to Peavy and they could have him but it goes against team policy. So instead of getting a Cy Young winner with a career ERA of 3.25 they are going to trade for a guy who has won nothing with a career ERA of 4.32. Makes perfect sense to me. Only good thing about the trade is the Braves are not giving up anything they'll miss. If I am Frank Wren, I just give in and extend the no-trade clause in Peavy's contract.

AA ERA

Re: Screw Peavy, Get Vazquez?

The Braves policy regarding NTC's reminds me of a similar policy the BoSox have regarding the "handshake".
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

"Handshake"? Please, inform me on this one.

AA ERA

Basically Boston's front office refuses to give any player a formal, contractual No Trade Clause thus, they give a form of handshake as a guarantee that the player will receive whatever type of NTC that has been agreed upon.

Although, Arroyo was extended a similar NTC type handshake and then turns around and gets dealt to Cinci for Wily Mo Pena so...
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Look where that Arroyo trade got them. Don't **** with the handshake apparently

Well ****. I watched Vazquez suck ass in NY for 2 years...and this is the backup for missing out on Peavy?

****, just give him the damn NTC. Please.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Braves are close to acquiring Javier Vazquez in a deal with the White Sox that also includes Brent Lillibridge.
    FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal says Jo-Jo Reyes won't be in the deal. Perhaps Charlie Morton or Kris Medlen will be. We can't imagine the deal getting done without the White Sox getting some pitching in return. Relievers Manny Acosta and Blaine Boyer would also make sense as possibilities. Lillibridge, if traded, could compete with Chris Getz and Jayson Nix for the starting job at second base for the White Sox.
    Looks like this may just happen.

I hope to god this doesn't close the door on Peavy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It might not. They aren't giving up anything that was offered to Peavy except for maybe Morton but the Braves can offer someone else.

Not worried about the talent, more the perennial cheapskates that are our owners. Vazquez is a little expensive, see.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Right-handed pitcher Javier Vazquez has been told he's headed from the Chicago White Sox to the Atlanta Braves in a deal which is likely to be finalized on Wednesday.

Vazquez is flying to Atlanta on Wednesday morning for a physical.

A baseball source told ESPN's Peter Gammons that the deal will include four other players, including reliever Boone Logan, who would also go from the White Sox to the Braves.

Among the players expected to go from Atlanta to the Chicago organization are Jo-Jo Reyes, Brett Lillibridge and another top prospect.

Vazquez, 32, was 12-16 last season for the White Sox with a 4.67 ERA in 33 starts. He struck out 200 batters in 208 1/3 innings.

Logan, a left-handed reliever, was 4-4 with a 5.70 ERA out of the White Sox bullpen last year. He had a 2-3 record in 55 appearances.

Reyes was 3-11 with a 5.81 ERA last season for the Braves. He started 22 games.

Lillibridge appeared in 90 games at Triple-A Richmond in the Braves organization. He hit .220 with four home runs and 39 RBIs.
    Wow, a five player deal involving Vazquez? What is the world coming to? The White Sox must be cooking something up big getting rid of Swisher's cash and now Vazquez's. Rosethal thinks Tyler Flowers could be involved which is highly unlikely. They were unwilling to include him in a deal for Peavy but they will for Vazquez?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Sounds like it's a done deal, not exactly loving it.

AA ERA

I highly doubt Flowers is involved, to be honest I can't believe Rosenthal would even report such a rumbling in regards to a Vazquez deal.

MLB ERA

I'll laugh hysterically if Flowers is in a deal for Vazquez.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

This is crap. Wren is getting worst by the day. We need an ACE.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast