Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible Pros and Cons of trading for Jake Peavy

MLB ERA

Re: Possible Pros and Cons of trading for Jake Peavy

Why would they trade their best player? To get a lot of very good help for 2-3 years down the line when they expect to compete again.

This is hardly a salary dump move.

If they were only concerned about his salary they'd wait until it got ready to escalate and dump him on the lowest bidder.

And this is Jake Peavy we're talking about, one of the top 3-4 pitchers in the entire majors. Arguably the best, but that's for another debate.

Normally I'd agree that Hanson and his talent is untouchable, but they'd be getting Jake freakin Peavy in exchange. And they wouldn't be getting him for just one year, they'd be getting him for the next 3.

And, not only is Jake very good he's also very loyal. Combine that with his (original) home being in Alabama, I'd think their chances of extending him in three years at a fair price was fairly good.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Possible Pros and Cons of trading for Jake Peavy

Yes they are trying to get 3-4 players in return that are good and CHEAP!! There is no other reason for it. Its simple baseball economics. It is a salary dump move for a great pitcher. They are dumping him now so they can rebuild. They are trying to trade their two most expensive players. Is this just a coincidence?? No, its trying to lower their payroll after finishing in last place in the worst division. Why would they wait for things to escalate to dump him on the lowest bidder? They wouldn't so I really don't know where you are going with that. I think I know what you were trying to say and it still doesn't make sense. The Padres don't have to trade but want to because of his salary.

Yes, we are aware that it is Jake Peavy, not the best but definitely in the top five. Hanson could be the next Jake Peavy and for a whole hell of a lot cheaper and longer. That's why he is and should be untouchable. There are other players the Braves can and will use to try and pry Peavy away.

Peavy is under control for five years including option years so no home town discount is needed.

Why else are the Padres wanting to lower the payroll $20 million dollars? Please ask yourself that before responding.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123