Thread: Mark Teixeira

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player Mark Teixeira

Tex is widely speculated to be moved sometime as the trade deadline approaches. The braves gave a good package to get him, so we can only hope if we do move Texy, we get a nice package in return, right? Hopefully it addresses pitching, an area where we need to get younger- as evident by the number of injuries endured by the elder statesmen on the team. We really hit Gold when Rentera was dealt for Jair Jurrjens, who's been a terrific performer next to Tim Hudson, when the rest of the pitching fell through a wooden floor on its way to the DL (granted, Mike Gonzalez returned but Soriano is still on the DL, Bennett was recently put on the DL, etc) and you combine this with how badly Chuck James pitched, and the fact you never know what's going to pitch next (Phil Stockman, JoJo Reyes, JULIAN TAVARES?) Yeah, really never was a problem in the past. Adam Wainwright would be great right about now.

But personally, I would rather keep Texy and try and sign him longterm. Look, Chipper is up there in age, he's injury prone, he's just not going to be around forever. I like McCann a lot, and Escobar is good too, but Franceour is stuck in an awful slump and I don't think any of those guys right now are ones you center the offense around. The lineup works, when healthy, when you have Chipper-Texy as the heart of the order. A pair of switch hitters with plus power is not easy to pitch to, and you consider the top of the lineup gets on base a lot and McCann backs up Texy, it's a nice offense (again, it has had it's share of injuries). And Tex isn't just thunder in a batting order, he has 2 gold gloves for his efforts. You can't help but like a guy that helps you both offensively and defensively, right?

You also have no idea what a team might give up. If it's a can't miss deal, of course they need to take it. But where would that offer come from? Anaheim always has a good farm, and their offense has been slacking, but they have a quality 1B who plays defense in Kotchman.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: Mark Teixeira

Apparently the Braves CAN'T afford to sign him long term, that's why the trade talk exists.

MLB ERA

We need Tex. They should know that by now but our lineup is great now. We just need better pitching.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

I agree, the problem in my eyes for the Braves is that Chipper is getting older and is injury prone, and that the entire pitching staff (smoltz, hampton, gonzalez, soriano, etc) is more than capable of being injured for long period of times. Not to mention that Smoltz and Glavine are almost at AARP age. So, they need to either hold on to Tex, or get a very nice package out of him. The question is if they can do so...

Closed
    Rookie ERA

I am really hoping that the Orioles will push hard to get Texeira the hometown boy. They really need a 1B as Millar can only give so much and Huff isn't much in the field. Tex would be a major improvement.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I sure wish we can figure out a way to keep Tex. The guy can mash.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Braves CAN re-sign Teixeira but don't think they want to spend all that money on one player which is why the rumor exists. Tex should stay in Atlanta as the Braves pitching next year looks to be a lot better and cheaper.

Mark Teixeira told the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he believes the Braves won't deal him.
    "(Manager) Bobby (Cox) pointed out that there had been rumors about me and (reliever Will Ohman), and he told us not to listen to media reports and to those rumors, because this team is still trying to win the (National League East)," said Teixeira. Cox also had this to say on the matter: "We’re buyers, not sellers. We’re trying anything to improve. We’re not seeking to move anybody. I don’t know where [people] got all of that stuff from. There’s a time to [start trading players], I suppose, but we’re in this thing."

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Sounds somewhat encouraging anyways, great post reefer.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Well shoot, Tex went to the Angels. We get Kotchman and a pitching prospect. Kind of disappointing but he was likely going anyways.

MLB ERA

Kotchman is not too bad. He is not Tex but I guess he'll do.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."