Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoltz return as closer?

MLB ERA

Smoltz return as closer?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...oltz_0430.html

Washington — John Smoltz hopes to be back pitching in 15 to 30 days and said he would consider returning to the closer role.

After going on the disabled list Tuesday with inflammation in the rotator cuff and a biceps tendon in his pitching arm, Smoltz said it's possible he would return to the closer role where he dominated during the 2002-04 seasons.

"Yes," he said during a phone interview Tuesday night. "Right now I'm sitting at ground zero, taking it day by day, looking at every option to help this team get to the playoffs and end my career the way I'd like to end it."

It was a surprising acknowledgment from Smoltz, who returned to his preferred starting role in 2005 after converting 154 saves in 3 1/2 seasons as a closer, including a National League-record 55 saves in 2002. He is 47-26 as a starter since the beginning of the 2005 season.

The condition of his shoulder, coupled with elbow problems for Braves relievers Peter Moylan and closer Rafael Soriano, has made Smoltz open-minded about moving back to the bullpen.

First, he has to heal. He has been ordered to go 5-7 days without picking up a ball.

"I won't rush back," he said. "I'll use the best judgment to do what it takes to come back and be successful. The last thing I want to do is bounce back and forth on the DL.

"I will be fine. The team will be fine. And the next time I throw will be because I'm ready."

MLB ERA

Re: Smoltz return as closer?

I wouldn't mind seeing Smoltz as the closer again. He was the last great closer they had anyway.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

I'd be pretty ****ing excited to have Smoltzie close again. Hopefully if and when he does that, it'll prolong his career by a season or two.

I'd love to see him finish his career with 200+ wins (done), 3000 Ks (done) and 200+ saves (he has 150+ now).
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

He's at 154 career saves right now. If he comes back as a closer and is productive for 1-2, maybe even 3 years, he could reach 200 saves.

He's a definate HoF in my book.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

No question about HoF, but I think it'd be cool to have 200/200/3000
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Oh yeah, definately. How many other guys have those stats? Can't be very many.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

I believe Smoltz is the only pitcher in MLB history to have at least 200 wins and at least 150 saves.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is the only pitcher to have those stats and he will return as the closer. He sent a text to the Atlanta Journal Constitution so that's his desire. Awesome! Braves better hope Hampton can return though.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Am I the only one who's not excited about this? Who's going to take his spot in the rotation??
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Mike Hampton?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hudson, Jurrgens and Glavine can keep them in the hunt. Charlie Morton is doing very well in AAA. Jo-Jo Reyes is also an option.

MLB ERA

I'll take Smoltz at SP and whoever at closer over Smoltz at CL and Charlie Morton or JoJo Reyes in the rotation...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Braves don't have that option. I'm sure they would take it too if it were there.

MLB ERA

Why don't they have that option?...unless I missed something Smoltz can start

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You did miss something. Smoltz doesn't want to start and more importantly, feels he can't. This man knows his body better than anyone. Remember when he wanted to start? Guess what, he started. He knew his body was ready to start again and he excelled more than anyone thought he could. That's why the Braves don't have a choice in the matter. You want Smoltz in the game in any way you can get him because he's a winner and now it will have to be as a closer again. Get used to the names Morton and Reyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast