Thread: Javy Lopez Retires

MLB ERA

Braves Javy Lopez Retires

Quote Originally Posted by MLB.com
    VIERA, Fla. -- Javy Lopez's dream to return to the Majors with the Braves ended early Saturday morning when he learned he wouldn't be part of their Opening Day roster.
    Given the chance that he could potentially remain in the organization as a Minor League player, Lopez instead opted to retire. His desire was to have one more opportunity to play with the Braves, who had employed him throughout the prime of his career.

"I just want to thank the Braves for giving me this opportunity," said Lopez as he was driving back to Atlanta early Saturday evening. "Not every team would have even given me a chance. I knew I had to produce numbers offensively and defensively, and I didn't do it."
    It's a shame to see him not make it and for him to retire but it was just a matter of time.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Javy Lopez Retires

Good to see him give it one more try as a Brave and retire in a Braves uniform.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Yea at least he returned as a Brave

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

People take the idea of players retiring in a specific uniform too seriously.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You will retire in a Giants uni.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If I ever have a career playing major league baseball for the SF Giants, I raise your Giants uniform and have the Giants logo tattooed on my body.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Can you play third or throw relief? We're desperate. Might have to give Billy Crystal a call.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

He needed to retire. I loved Lopez in his prime, buthe has struggled mightly since going to Baltimore for the big $$$..