Thread: Braves' 2008 Spring Training Thread

MLB ERA

Braves Braves' 2008 Spring Training Thread

Well Spring Training is among us. I'l start off from yesterday. Today's game against the Cardinals should be on MLB.tv so I'll be watching the archive when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Journeyman Buddy Carlyle was hit hard in his first spring start for the Braves Saturday, allowing three runs on six hits over three innings.
    The rough outing comes after Carlyle had tossed four perfect innings in relief to open the spring. Carlyle has been released from five teams during the past five years, but manager Bobby Cox seems to want the veteran on his squad this year, saying that Carlyle "sure deserves to be up here. You need a guy like that on your team, someone who can spot-start."

Gregor Blanco went 2-for-2 with a double and two walks Sunday versus the Cardinals.
    It hardly seems fair that Josh Anderson has simply been penciled in for a job as a reserve when the homegrown Blanco seems just about as qualfied. He's 4-for-10 with two extra-base hits and five walks this spring. Both he and Anderson have decent on-base skills, little power and good range in center field. The biggest difference is that Anderson is a quality basestealer, while Blanco still struggles in that area. Blanco, though, has earned a look.

Tim Hudson yielded two unearned runs and three hits in four innings Sunday in a win over the Cardinals.
    Hudson has given up two earned runs in nine innings this spring. He's expected to be the Braves' Opening Day starter over John Smoltz.

Matt Diaz had three hits in three at-bats to help the Braves beat the Cardinals 12-5 on Sunday.
    Diaz upped his average to .458, giving him a 300-point advantage over his competition in left field, Brandon Jones. The Braves still could acquire a left-handed hitting outfielder if they find one cheap at the end of the spring, but as things stand now, Diaz has a real chance of opening the season as an everyday player for the first time in his career.
    I'm not really foud of Carlyle by his numbers last season going 8-7 with a 5.21 ERA in 22 games. He is capable of doing better.

I like Hudson and I'm sure most do. If Hudson is the Opening Day starter it's because Smoltz stepped aside because he does not like pitching in Washington. However, with the new stadium I don't know if that would still be the case.

I can see Diaz starting in LF. He has the ability to do so but I always like to see backups just in case possiblities.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Braves Re: Braves' 2008 Spring Training Thread

Omar Infante had a cast removed from his left hand Friday.
    Infante has been in the cast for two months after getting hit on the hand while playing in the Venezuelan winter league. The utilityman is expected to spend most of April on the disabled list. Martin Prado has taken most of Infante's at-bats this spring, filling in nicely with a .306 avg in 49 at-bats.

Jeff Francoeur left Sunday's game in the second inning after getting hit in the face by a pitch.
    Francoeur was hit in a similar area while in the minors in 2004 and suffered a fractured orbital bone. He went down for a couple of minutes after getting hit today, but he was able to walk off the field and there didn't appear to be any blood. Hopefully, he's day-to-day.

Jeff Francoeur was sent for X-rays after getting hit in the left side of the face by a Todd Wellemeyer pitch on Sunday.
    "[Francoeur] took the ball off the left corner of his mouth/cheek," a Braves official told AJC writer David O'Brien in an email. "Is on his way to the hospital for precautionary X-rays, but initially it looks as if he was lucky and is going to be OK. Has lacerations inside his mouth and might need some stitches, but did not lose any teeth and did not have heavy bleeding." It sounds like a day-to-day injury.

Yunel Escobar crushed his second spring homer, an opposite-field blast off Todd Wellemeyer, in the Braves' 3-2 victory over the Cardinals on Sunday.
    It wasn't all good for Escobar, who did commit his fifth error. Still, the Braves seem quite happy with him. He's hitting .472 in 34 at-bats.
    That would suck if Francoeur would have to miss some games in the regular season but it sounds like he will be fine.

I hated to see Renteria go but it looks like Escobar is doing very well.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Braves' 2008 Spring Training Thread

I have been up on Yunel for a while now. The dude has gold glove caliber defense likenone of us have ever seen. I am very excited to watch him play this year.

MLB ERA

I'm very excited to see what Esobar can do as a starter. He is very capable thats for sure.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

How is he doing this spring?

MLB ERA

Threee days ago he was hitting .472 in 34 at-bats.

MLB ERA

Manager Bobby Cox said Tuesday that Chuck James still has a chance to make the Opening Day roster.
    It had been assumed that James would begin the season at Triple-A as he recovered from a partially torn rotator cuff, but Cox said that's "not necessarily" the case. "We're getting him ready. We'll see," Cox said.

Jeff Francoeur hopes to play Thursday after missing three days following Sunday's beaning.
    Francoeur said he has been gargling with salt water to help the lacerations inside his mouth heal. He was fortunate to avoid more serious damage when he was hit by a Dustin McGowan pitch.

Mark Kotsay went 0-for-3 on Wednesday and still doesn't have a multihit game this spring.
    He's batting .243/.300/.270 in 37 at-bats. There's still reason for hope that Kotsay will be better a full year removed from back surgery, but he so far short of being a useful regular after returning last season that there's also good cause for doubting it. The Braves could turn to Jordan Schafer come June or July if Kotsay proves to be a bust this year.
    I hope to see Francouer in the lineup tonight when the Braves play the Tigers on MLB.tv. He will be back for opening day, that is what matters.

MLB ERA

Tyler Yates walked three and allowed a run in his inning Thursday versus the Tigers.
    Perhaps the Braves already regret not non-tendering Yates. Because of his $800,000 salary, he entered spring training as a near-lock fo a bullpen job. However, he's sporting a 12.00 ERA and he's walked nine in six innings. The Braves could keep Royce Ring, Buddy Carlyle or Chris Resop over him.

Tim Hudson threw six innings and allowed only an unearned run Thursday versus the Tigers.
    Hudson took on seven regulars from what looks like the game's best offense, but he cruised anyway, generating 10 groundball outs and walking none. He has a 1.20 ERA after four starts.

Chipper Jones homered, doubled and walked in three plate appearances Thursday in the Braves' 3-2 win over the Tigers.
    Jones is batting .400 with two homers in 30 at-bats. He's never needed a full spring training, and despite missing time earlier in camp with a strained hamstring, he surely wishes the regular season would hurry up and start.
    Hudson is doing pretty good and Chipper is once again showing why the Braves need him in the lineup.

MLB ERA

Braves optioned OF Brandon Jones and LHP Jo-Jo Reyes to Triple-A Richmond; reassigned OF Jordan Schafer, LHP Francisley Bueno, RHP Jorge Campillo and RHP Ryan Drese to minor league camp.
    The door was open for Jones to claim the lion's share of the playing time in left field, but he hit just .211/.348/.263 in 38 at-bats. He probably needed some additional time in Triple-A anyway. The danger is that he could fall behind Schafer on the depth chart during the season. Schafer hit .316/.356/.421 in 38 at-bats. He could get the first shot to replace Mark Kotsay in center field if Kotsay is no better than he was last year.

Jair Jurrjens surrendered four runs in five-plus innings Saturday in a loss to the Nationals.
    Jurrjens was doing fine until the sixth, when all four batters he faced ended up scoring. He struck out three and got nine outs on the ground in the first five innings. Jurrjens is expected to enter the season as the Braves' fifth starter.
    I'm glad to see Reyes not going to be making the Opening Day roster. After watching him last season I don't want to witness it again.

MLB ERA

John Smoltz plans to test his shoulder by playing catch on Monday or Tuesday. He could pitch in a minor league game Wednesday or Thursday.
    Smoltz won't start in Wednesday's exhibition game since that would prevent the Braves from backdating a DL assignment if he has a setback. There's still hope that Smoltz will start the team's second game of the season.

Gregor Blanco went 3-for-3 with a triple and an RBI against the Astros on Sunday.
    Blanco may now have an edge over Josh Anderson for a bench job thanks to his .419/.558/.581 line in 31 at-bats. He's definitely the better bet of the two offensively. He doesn't quite measure up with Anderson in center field, and he's a subpar basestealer despite very good speed. Still, the Braves should be leaning towards carrying him.

Manny Acosta retired all four batters he faced Sunday to earn a save versus the Astros.
    Acosta was shaky early on, but he's back on firm ground now thanks to five scoreless innings in a row. Even though he has options and several alternatives don't, he'll begin the season in Atlanta's bullpen. He's worth considering at $1.

Mike Hampton limited the Astros to a pair of solo homers over six innings Sunday to earn a win.
    Hunter Pence and Carlos Lee delivered the homers. Hampton struck out four and walked one. He has a 1.98 ERA in 13 2/3 innings.
    Things are looking good for Blanco. He is hitting the ball very well. Mike Hampton did great until the six inning when he gave up back-to-back homers.