Thread: Notes: Smoltz delaying Grapefruit start

MLB ERA

Braves Notes: Smoltz delaying Grapefruit start

Braves.com
    LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- There won't be any sightings of John Smoltz in Grapefruit League action over the next couple of weeks. Until the latter part of March, the only games that will include the veteran right-hander will be ones contested on the back fields.

Wanting to improve the quality of some of his pitches in a non-structured situation, Smoltz will spend the first few weeks of March simply pitching in Minor League games, some of which might be against players from the Braves organization. His plan is to make just two or three Grapefruit League starts.

"This is going to sound like a stupid statement -- I don't want to be in a hurry, but I have a lot to do," said Smoltz. Helater added, "This is the most I've ever looked forward to Spring Training."
    The regular season is where it counts so I won't mind not seeing Smoltz pitching in SP just as long as he comes in throwing strong.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Re: Notes: Smoltz delaying Grapefruit start

Whatever smoltie...as long as he's at camp and not busy golfing.