Thread: New Home for Triple-A Affiliate

MLB ERA

Braves New Home for Triple-A Affiliate

Looks like the Braves want a new home for Richmond Braves because Richmond is not doing much for The Diamond.

The Official Site of The Atlanta Braves: News: Atlanta Braves News
    ATLANTA -- It appears the Braves will be moving their Triple-A affiliate to neighboring Gwinnett County.

According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Gwinnett County commissioners will meet Tuesday night to vote on a stadium proposal. If the commissioners approve the construction of a new stadium, the Braves will be able to make their next step toward moving the Triple-A affiliate out of Richmond, Virg.

Gwinnett County is located approximately 20 minutes north of Turner Field. The thriving suburban area already is home to an Arena Football League team and a hockey team that plays in the East Coast Hockey League.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: New Home for Triple-A Affiliate

That surprises me. Richmond doesnt want to upgrade, huh?

MLB ERA

Apprently not. They must be cheap. I might need to go to a game because I want to move soon.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Braves.com
    ATLANTA -- Braves executive vice president of business operations Mike Plant has spent the past four years attempting to find a suitable facility for the club's Triple-A affiliate.

After countless battles with the city of Richmond, Va., and an untold amount of hours evaluating other potential locations throughout the United States, he came to the realization that his best solution would be in his organization's backyard.

Gwinnett County isn't exactly next door to Turner Field. But it is just about 30 minutes away and in the eyes of the Braves, this proximity won't prove to be a detriment as much as it will be a positive when they move their Triple-A team there from Richmond for the start of the 2009 season.
    I guess I'm not surprised. While going through Richmond I didn't care for the look of it. I guess I'll need to try to go to a Richmond game at least once before they move.

MLB ERA

Having a team that close will be nice when it comes time to bring players up from AAA. It will cost them a bus ticket, rather than a plane ticket.
    What sort of facility does the town have for the team to move into?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

They are going to be building one. It's in the link.
    "It's going to be really successful," Plant said on Tuesday afternoon, after the Gwinnett County Commissioners unanimously approved the construction of a $40 million stadium that will be ready for the Braves around this time next year.

MLB ERA

I like some of the newer ballparks and hope this one will be one of the good ones.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon